• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope essential? (1 Viewer)

Apologies if this appears to be a very naiive Q: I am only able to stop over on the island for one day, 3pm - 3pm, April 11/12th. I cannot travel with a scope - is this an absolute essential to see/ID a variety of species on the near coast? I realize that, of course, it would be better than binoculars but I will have my Swarovski 42s in hand luggage. I will probably only have time for the harbour sites relatively close to the airport (Gardur, Sandgerdi, Njardvik Harbour, Reykjavik itself) as I am not going to risk missing my onward return to Vancouver.

So, is a scope essential? This is a fairly alien environment for me, as I am more used to the Rockies or some sweltering jungle. I don't have much experience of sea-watching....thanks, rio.

Grindavik is a great site relatively close to the airport and you can see Harlequins on the sea in the cove to the east and you will get identifiable views with binoculars. And make sure you have the lobster bisque in the cafe right on the harbour front! You can watch all the white winged gulls there too.

Grindavik is a great site relatively close to the airport and you can see Harlequins on the sea in the cove to the east and you will get identifiable views with binoculars. And make sure you have the lobster bisque in the cafe right on the harbour front! You can watch all the white winged gulls there too.

Hahahaha you beat me to it.

As for the birding ? I got Harlequin and Gyr falcon in binoculars off the cliffs. No scope needed.

Thanks for the replies. Heresy....but I'll take the bisque over the Harlequins (and Barrow's G'eye, for that matter) as I am from inland Canada where those are my locals and not exactly sought-after. Gulls are of a lot more interest, so thanks for the reassurance. I am not much of a sea-watcher, almost feel stupid asking this question on this forum but, as my first post, you guys didn't make it seem like a dumb Q so thanks.

Thanks for the replies. Heresy....but I'll take the bisque over the Harlequins (and Barrow's G'eye, for that matter) as I am from inland Canada where those are my locals and not exactly sought-after. Gulls are of a lot more interest, so thanks for the reassurance. I am not much of a sea-watcher, almost feel stupid asking this question on this forum but, as my first post, you guys didn't make it seem like a dumb Q so thanks.

Ideally I'd take a scope but maybe not for the short time in question.
Seawatching without, is difficult to say the least. Even though I'm an experienced sea watcher it is very difficult to pick birds up without a scope.
Its a marvellous country for sea watching so maybe you could organise a longer break.
Have fun!

Ideally I'd take a scope but maybe not for the short time in question.
Seawatching without, is difficult to say the least. Even though I'm an experienced sea watcher it is very difficult to pick birds up without a scope.
Its a marvellous country for sea watching so maybe you could organise a longer break.
Have fun!
I am almost the opposite of you, having never owned a scope. I feel a little clueless on coasts, although I've prowled a few beaches around the world over the last 10 years. Life list approaching 3000 but the sea is not an environment I am familiar with.

Parents used to live in Bowness (but before I picked up this obsession with birds) so it's nice to get a reply from Kendal. Wish I could stay longer in Iceland but this will be an overnighter, the 9th flight of 12 flights in 12 days. Life is complicated. Thanks for replying.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back