• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I've been "darted" (1 Viewer)

My house has five HB feeders, so naturally I have lots of birds flying around. Most of the time they chase each other around fighting for feeder ownership.

The other day I walked out of my front door to get into the car, just like a million other times. I must have steeped into the middle of a turf battle, because out of nowhere came two birds at mach 10 and the one being chased hit me squarely in the back of my head and was in my hair. The other one missed me by an inch or so.

Nobody was hurt in the incident, and I think it scared me more than the poor little guy that was not watching where he was going. It’s a strange feeling having a hummingbird in your hair. Now I catch myself looking around before stepping out.

LOL, Ron, I've had some near-misses myself when they come buzzing around a corner of the house where I'm standing, but never any body checks!

BTW, a warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum! :t:

Unfortunately, I did not get to hold the little bugger in my hand as he flew off without assistance (my hair is not long enough to really get tangled). I did find that I had to resist that instinct we have to swat at your head when a bee or something gets in your hair. Good thing I heard them coming and knew what it was.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Ron in SoCal said:
Unfortunately, I did not get to hold the little bugger in my hand as he flew off without assistance (my hair is not long enough to really get tangled). I did find that I had to resist that instinct we have to swat at your head when a bee or something gets in your hair. Good thing I heard them coming and knew what it was.

Thanks for the welcome guys.
Glad you resisted the impulse Ron and welcome to BirdForum. :t:

Hummingbird obliviousness

For a fairly gruesome example of what can happen 'when the god is upon them', take a look at the photo on p. 23 in Sheri Williamson's hummingbird guide.
Ouch.
Rick Wright
Tucson, Arizona, USA

I only have two Ruby Throat HBs coming to my feeder currently and they are always nearly missing a collision with me. Sometimes I think they are doing it on purpose. It's funny though. When I am out cleaning the feeder they will come buzzing up and as if they have just realized I am there, will fly past me as fast as they can, just to come to a screeching halt before hitting my house. They even make their own brake sound effects! LOL...

I've had a ruby-throated male dive bomb me...didn't hit me, but I'm guessing that he was warning me that I was in his territory. The hummer was in Brecksville Reservation, and for about 2 or 3 years straight a ruby-throat male occupied a group of small dead trees overlooking a little wetland. I even named him (Carl)! It was neat to see my little buddy act aggressively towards me.

swamp_rattler said:
I've had a ruby-throated male dive bomb me...didn't hit me, but I'm guessing that he was warning me that I was in his territory. The hummer was in Brecksville Reservation, and for about 2 or 3 years straight a ruby-throat male occupied a group of small dead trees overlooking a little wetland. I even named him (Carl)! It was neat to see my little buddy act aggressively towards me.

Ha! A hummer named Carl! That's good! :)

Not sure of the species, most likely it was an Allen's.

We have at least two-dozen resident hummers, all claiming ownership of the five feeders. Most are Allen's, with some Anna's, Costa's, Black-chinned, Rufous, and an occasional Calliope.

The Rufous has a reputation of being aggressive, but the Allen's are king in my part of the world. They defend their feeders with amazing tenacity. Most Rufous move along after a few days of trying to take over.

The others feed primarily from the HB friendly plants we have planted just for them, but they do try to sneak a drink at a feeder now and then. It’s fun to watch.

I have named one of the Allen's "Vern" because he lives in a fern that hangs between two of the feeders. He thinks both feeders are his. Vern in the fern. I can get close to Vern, he is not afraid of me at all.

I love hearing your hummingbird contact stories.

I had a hummer fly up and put its beak on my scalp a couple of years ago, but I thought it was because I am a redhead. I thought I had been mistaken for giant flower of some sort. lol

Lydia :girl:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back