• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

VR 80-400 AF + Teleconverters (1 Viewer)

Stephen North

I see various "recommended" TC and lense combinations associated with Nikon TCs.

I'm getting a bit confused about whether my 80-400mmVR lense will take Nikon teleconverters and what functionality I can expect to lose in the process.

I would like to use a new Nikon x2 converter with this zoom. I assume I'll lose AF and VR. Is anyone using this set up and getting good results?

TIA

S

As they come, I not sure any current Nikon tc will fit onto the 80-400 and provide AF or VR, they're all made for lenses with internal focus motors (AFS, HSM) rather than the screw-drive focus that the 'D' series lenses require. Yossi, is familiar with many tc variants (including latest Nikon ones, so he may give a better call on this than myself.
Personally, my TC-14E won't give AF nor VR (though it does physically fit with the modification).
Best bet is the Kenko Pro 300 series, my 1.4x gives reasonable AF and VR with the 80-400. A 2x would be very grim with AF but the VR should work.... personally, I'd advise you to look at no more than 1.4x with the 80-400mm.

cheers,
Andy

Stephen North said:
I see various "recommended" TC and lense combinations associated with Nikon TCs.

I'm getting a bit confused about whether my 80-400mmVR lense will take Nikon teleconverters and what functionality I can expect to lose in the process.

I would like to use a new Nikon x2 converter with this zoom. I assume I'll lose AF and VR. Is anyone using this set up and getting good results?

TIA

S
Hi Stephen
It won't take a TC with the exception of the Kenko and that only just works, so I heard.

I use a TC1.7 with my 70-200 AFS VR, its great, but will not fit on any of my DX Nikons lenses.

Best take yourself down to your local Nikon dealer and get advice direct from him.

Best of luck
Found this quote from the Nikon site :-

Yep, a 1.4x tc with the 80-400 is o.k. in good light with contrasty subjects but once the light goes it is pretty grim.

Andy Bright said:
As they come, I not sure any current Nikon tc will fit onto the 80-400 and provide AF or VR, they're all made for lenses with internal focus motors (AFS, HSM) rather than the screw-drive focus that the 'D' series lenses require. Yossi, is familiar with many tc variants (including latest Nikon ones, so he may give a better call on this than myself.
Personally, my TC-14E won't give AF nor VR (though it does physically fit with the modification).
Best bet is the Kenko Pro 300 series, my 1.4x gives reasonable AF and VR with the 80-400. A 2x would be very grim with AF but the VR should work.... personally, I'd advise you to look at no more than 1.4x with the 80-400mm.

cheers,
Andy

Andy

I took your advice, the 1.4x Kenko works well in good light with the 80-400 and I had lots of fun with it in Norfolk last week.

S

Stephen,
Just don't forget that you actually hand-holding a 840mm lens in your hands (400X1.5X1.4), and unless you take good care of stability, the output can be quite dissapointing. The VR is great, but can't work @ 1/80 sec. hand held with a TC. I normally use a tripod at those focal lengths, stopping the VR function. Another good advise is to replace the bad lens collar with a Kirk collar. It changed dramatically the results on a tripod. I did the same with my 300/4 AFS that suffers from the same bad collar.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back