• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hay Head Wood, The Dingle and Cuckoo's Nook (1 Viewer)

monkeyman

Aviate. Navigate. Communicate.
The day stared well for us. The Blue tits are getting bolder and examing the new nest box.They even poked their heads inside today! They came to the box three times while we watched. Later I saw by first butterfly over the gardes. It was too afr away to see properly, but I'm assuming it was a Brimstone as they usually appear at this time of year.

Having done some "official" business for BF and a bit of shopping, Ali and I set off with the mutts for a good walk on what has been the best day of the year so far, weather-wise.

Blue sky from horizon to horizon and not a cloud in sight. Even a chilly easterly breeze couldn't affect our mood. Spring is only a week away!

We parked at Hay Head Wood, on the outskirts of Walsall, and walked along the edge of the "Airport" (A rival to Birmingham International in its day!) and watched the crows and magpies fight it out with the model aircraft buzzing overhead.

Skirting the wood and a field with new growth shooting skyward, we hit the Beacon Way. As we closed upon the Dingle I spotted a buzzard lazily gliding over the trees.

A Bullfinch flitted from the blackthorn and wrens belted out their territorial songs every few yards or so. Jays "craked" in anger, or so it seemed,as they flew away from us.

Into the Dingle; pools from ancient clay workings were full from recent rain and two mallard took fright as the dogs dived in (they love the water!). Blue and Great tits called from all around us, high in the towering beeches. Wrens, robins and blackbirds whizzed by.

Wild garlic leaves everywhere and their heady scent as the dogs plough through; a few Celandine already in flower and the buds beginning to show on the trees. It feels like Spring!

A Grey Wagtail, its lemon-yellow underparts and blue-grey back and wings highlighted by the sun flew out and away through the trees.

Onward into Cuckoo's Nook, where there is a dramatic change of scenery, due to this area being situated on the Eastern Boundary fault; to the west, beech and clay, to the east Holly and Oak . . . and bluebells. The bluebells won't be in flower for another month or so, but the ground is carpeted with new shoots.

I called the nuthatches, but got no response. Plenty of tits and chaffinches, but no 'hatches, or, surprisingly, woodpeckers! We usually spot Great Spotted and Greens here, but not today! However, as we got to the eastern edge of the wood we spotted the buzzard flying low over the surrounding fields. We watched through our bins until we lost sight of it beyond some more trees. We tried to follow it, but to no avail. We did spot a Moorhen at a secluded pool and a solitary Redwing flew overhead.

On our way back to the car we eventually spotted a Nuthatch in the Dingle. A single Song Thrush could be heard high overhead and the tits and wrens vied for the most clamourous call of the year award.

Aah! It won't be long before the Skylarks are trilling their songs heavenward over the fields . . .

Attachments

• the dingle.jpg
    the dingle.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 304
sounds like a nice day!
monkeyman> i dont know if u know....but has work begun on the beacon area to restore heathland?

Haven't heard anything of late, I'm afraid, Seb!

They're probably too busy putting up new street lights!

Hey up monkeyman, I have a similar view out of my PC window, this is my main birding spot, imagine your view, put a hedge in front, and a bird table, feeders, bubble fountain, and spring flowering garden, with plants that flower from october to end of may, azaleas last to flower, as then the trees are in full leaf. the hedge supports 1 blackbird nest, 1 robin nest, and 2wrens nests. hope the mental pic gives you an idea of rural living, Nina.

Rural living? You southerners don't know what rural living is!

I was born and bred in Scotland. Now THAT'S rural living!

Glad you liked the piece though; there's a lot going for the Black Country, if people would only open their eyes (and ears) and stop rushing about everywhere!

Al

I enjoyed your report very much, Monkeyman. I love the woods at this time of the year. Went for a stroll yesterday, lovely to see all the buds appear as if by magic!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back