• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Midwest Humming Birds--Michigan (1 Viewer)

jtate

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to get in contact with people in Michigan that have had any success with attracting hummingbirds to feeders. I have had a feeder in the back yard for about a month and nothing. Just purchased another feeder (different style) and placed it out back as well. Both the front and back have flowers including Columbine (which I read attracts hummingbirds)....but as of yet nothing.

Any advice would be great.

Mixture I am using is the standard 1:4 sugar cane mix.....with no red dye....just warm water (dont boil) that I let cool in the fridge and then serve up.

This time of the year, you have to change the mixture on almost a daily basis or it will begin to ferment and then, they won't touch it. Also, unless you have some flower or something in the yard to attract them, you won't see them. Plus it takes time for them to show up, sometimes from one season to the next. Always get the feeders out when they are migrating or it will just be pure luck when you get your first.

Jaeger near Chicago

Jaeger,

I live in Southern Va, and we have just gotten a reasonable number of hummingbirds. Many people are finding that they have fewer hummingbirds this year than usual.

This link has done a poll on hummingbird migration in 2005 by state. You may find this interesting to read. I did :)

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek050522.html

Lydia :girl:

That hilton pond report was very interesting. I think I will keep my feeders up for a couple of weeks more. If I dont see anything then I will take them down until the fall migration...maybe I will get a glimpse of one on the way back to the tropics.
Next year I will start much earlier!

Thanks for the info......I still would like to hear what people from Metro Detroit or Southern Michigan are experiencing as far as # of hummingbirds this year.

Thanks Again!!!

jtate

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back