• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Bird Book (1 Viewer)

Bushcrafter

I have a couple of Bird ID books, Collins,RSPB , what would you consider to be the best ID book, before i buy a handfull from Amazon ;) thanks JP

Bird Books

Even our Lars Johnsson hasn't had a look in since we got the Collins - actually I've had to buy another because the first has got so tatty with taking it everywhere - each time I open it another handful of Lesvos dust falls out! So I keep on at home and take one with us. Doh!.....

Sandra

I love books. I can’t resist buying them, so over the last few months I’ve amassed a collection of bird guides and bird related paperwork. So far I’ve purchased 26 publications, (to add to the ones I already have), one of which is the excellent Collins Field guide. I think I would like the large hardback version of the Collins book for Christmas. Better get a note off to Santa ASAP! |:$|

Book

John Cantelo said:
New edition? That'd be interesting. Any details?
John

Not really John. Just something I picked up whilst birding on holiday, from the tour leader. Seemed to be suggesting that there may be some improvements to a few of the paintings. Artists are never satisfied ;) Also splits to be taken in. Grey Shrike is the one I remember. I have the hardback version and soft back for the field. Will think twice I think before splashing out more cash unless I can see a good reason as I have barely opened the HB edition and I have lots of notes on SB although it may eventually fall to pieces. Not at all sure about the timing of this but it is certainly on the way.

Obviously Collins is going to be the popular choice. Check out the large format version which is really nice as the quality of the illustrations really comes through.
However if you're just birding in the UK it seems to me that Collins contains a lot of birds that you're unlikely to see, in fact a large number of them.

Seems a shame that Collins couldn't come out with a more UK centred product that contained the birds you're likely to see there with more text and larger illustraions. Would be a winner then I think.

You don't really need any more than the Collins Bird Guide and, as Tom mentioned, the 2 Macmillan guides (if you can find them). However, to supplement these I always plug the Pocket Guide to the Birds of Britain and North-West Europe by Kightly, Madge and Nurney, which is compact and nicely set out with excellent illustrations.

Phillip Mannion brought to my notice in another thread that Amazon are selling the large Hardback version of the Collins Guide for £15.90, I purchased it with a map for Lesvos for £4.95 to enable me to get free delivery (over £19).
OK maybe a new version is coming out but it's still a bargain.

AMAZON - Large Format Collins Guide

tufty said:
Phillip Mannion brought to my notice in another thread that Amazon are selling the large Hardback version of the Collins Guide for £15.90, I purchased it with a map for Lesvos for £4.95 to enable me to get free delivery (over £19).

Thanks for the link to Amazon.

I’ve now got my hard back copy. ‘Tis excellent.
I think Santa will have to find me something else for crimbo!

javva :t:

Ordered my hardback version - from play.com (had bad dealings with Amazon - and play usually deliver via normal post within a couple of days - and no postage charges - and usually i find them cheaper, esp. for DVDs. - plug for play.com over).

My paperback version is already getting tatty, and i've only had it 3 months!

Wish they would do a "british" only version (with same birds as the RSPB book). Maybe it wouldn't weigh so bloody much then!

tufty said:

Is that the large format version for sure? They have another entry which specifically says "Large Format", and is out of stock.

Alan

rezMole said:
Ordered my hardback version - from play.com (had bad dealings with Amazon - and play usually deliver via normal post within a couple of days - and no postage charges - and usually i find them cheaper, esp. for DVDs. - plug for play.com over).

My paperback version is already getting tatty, and i've only had it 3 months!

Wish they would do a "british" only version (with same birds as the RSPB book). Maybe it wouldn't weigh so bloody much then!

I ordered my copy using the ‘one button ordering’ option on Sunday 26th and I had it by Tuesday 28th via parcel-force. How’s that for quick?

And still only cost me £18.65 with postage.

javva :t:

alancairns said:
Is that the large format version for sure? They have another entry which specifically says "Large Format", and is out of stock.

Alan

Hi Alan,
that's the link to the page I used to order and I've received the Large Format version, I think it's still available for £15.90, you just need to find something else you need to take it past £19 to get the free delivery, can't remember how much they charge otherwise.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back