• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

G3 and Eagleeye (1 Viewer)

fredyr

Hi there. I have the Canon pro 90IS, the canon G3, the eagleeye 5x zoom and want to photograph birds. I have the eagleeye because I had the kodak DC290. Too much vignetting with the pro so I have given up on that, but still hope for the G3 but don't know whether to get the lensmate 52mm or 58mm. I have been in touch with eagleeye and they just haven't got the time to check the G3 as they are still making an adaptor to fit the G3. Seems they want to go into competition with lensmateonline.
Thought they are very unfair and thought I may do better on this site.
Hope someone can help me on this site as I live in a country where I can't even check the canon adaptor made for the G3
Thanks in advance.
Fredy Ross

Lensmateonline is an american company which makes and sells adaptors for the some cameras like the G1 G2 and now G3. Also sells Hoya filters etc. They are making two adaptors for the G3, 52mm and 58mm. The canon makes an adaptor in plastic, 58mm. Because it is in america and I am in israel I have a dilemma as to which to order. Eagleeye is coming out with an adaptor too but not till June and as yet I don't know the size. Eagleeye is also coming out with a new eagleeyez 5x suitable for different cameras than in the past like the Oly 2001 and the Nikon 995.
Thanks anyway, just thought someone in this forum may know.
regards fredy Ross

@fredy:
I don't know anything about the Eagleeye, but I have seen, that someone in the fotocommunity.de used it with a Nikon 995.
Christoph

Hi Christoph, you know me from proinfo. I know about the nikon and the orly but I don't have them. I now have the pro 90 and the G3
I look forward to your photos from your holiday. regards Fredy Ross

@fredy:
I know who you are.. ;-) or do you think there is an other down under living in Tel Aviv and called Fredy...
about the holyday picture.. I think you have to wait... at least until June, when I'm back...
Christoph

I guess not. I suppose I am unique. These sites are great though as I found another person living not far from me with the G3 and we may be able to help each other. Frustrating to have this eagleeye and not be able to use it. When I look through the lens it is so crystal clear as a monacle.
Oh well, hopefully we too will get to have a holiday soon. Just wish the war would start and finish quickly so we can get on with life. Just heard Robin Cook resign and that will be no loss to England's government. Hopeless minister he was. Totaly inept to be Foreign Minister.
I guess this week may be a zero or horrific. Time will tell.
Sure wish I were visiting Australia at the moment but too far.
regards Fredy Ross

Hi Fred, so you want to use the eagleeye 5x lens with your G3 correct? What is the thread size on the eagleeye lens? I thought it was a 37mm mount? I'm sure it's less than 58mm so your best bet would be to use the 52mm lensmate adapter, that way you only have to step down from 52mm-37mm, instead of 58mm-37mm. You may be able to get a stepdown ring to go from 58mm to 37mm, but i doubt it would do you any good to use the 58mm adapter over the 52mm adapter. The only reason i would buy a 58mm adapter tube is if the lens had 58mm or larger threads.

thanks I have a 37-49 ring from my camera and photosolve has a step up ring to 52mm. The only reason I was in a quandary is because I have UV and Polarizer from my pro 90IS which is 58mm. I still think eagleeye could have had a test by now with the G3 and think it is very unhelpful on their part as I already asked them in January and the G3 has been on the market since early December. Thanks for answering.
regards Fredy Ross

Just found this thread - when this was posted I still had my 995, but have since upgraded to the Canon G3.

I use the EagleEye 5x lens with the G3 using the Lensmate 52mm thread adapter and a 52-37 step-down ring.

There is some vignetting, but not a huge amount and it can be cropped out. Photo of juvenile Blackbird in my gallery taken with this setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back