• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Birding day(s)! (1 Viewer)

Booga

Wil Wilson
Hi all,

I've been a bit tied up the past few days and not posted much, although there is quite a bit to post.

I've seen Red kite on 3 locations, all within 2 miles of each other, I saw two together though over carpenters down nr Basingstoke. Also since last week I have seen willow tit on 5 sperate occasions, today I saw 2 together, and witin 1/2 hr a marsh tit (I also saw a marsh tit on my local patch on Saturday).

I've seen great, lesser and green woodpeckers every day for the last 5 days. Two sites and sightings of kingfisher, and also at the same locations heron, although at the seconds location the heron was much darker, almost blue, and a bit bigger than the first one.

I saw my first Chiffchaff today, at first thought it was a gold crest, even thought for a second it might be a firecrest until it perched 2 feet away and I got the ID. Very pleased, as it's a first for me.

Saw about 14 redwing today, I thought they'd all be off by now, but I guess I got lucky.

Same site I was able to watch a gorgeous male Kestrel circling and soaring above some woodland for 5 mins.

Also this week, I have seen 2 buzzard, 2 sparrowhawk, 9 grey wagtail, 27 goldfinch, 2 green finch, 1 hawfinch, 8 long tailed tit, 4 nuthatch, 12 mistle thrush, 3 song thrush, 2 tree creepers, 17 goldcrest, numerous chaffinch and great tit.

Also my local sparrow population, both tree and house seems to be without bounds, you can't walk for five mins without finding a colony.

Right, I'll stop now befoer the snores wake your neighbours!!!

Yea! First Robin of the season today!!! Spring is here at long last:)
Red-bellied woodpecker,Downy woodpecker,rat-tat-tating and a flock of Goldfinches all showed up today. There was one creature I will mention here and I was NOT glad to see it,a housefly. YUCK!

Under a foot of ice in the water garden are live and well fish, looking colorful as they swim about. It was a good day!!

Not a bad week, Booga. Sounds like a good area for Grey Wagtail, 9 in a week is good going. And I'm jealous, I've never seen a Lesser Spotted, I must learn the call and try to "spot" one this spring. Lubird I know what you mean, a couple of days of sunshine and there's dozens of House Flys warming themselves on the stone walls. Still at least the Flycatchers will have plenty to eat when they return!

That is a great British list to be satisfied with. I'd likem a week you have had. Red Kites, mmmm. I'll settle for the Black ones I had. Ain't got Red ones myself. Boo hoo (cries in corner)

hello

Booga said:
Hi all,

I've been a bit tied up the past few days and not posted much, although there is quite a bit to post.

I've seen Red kite on 3 locations, all within 2 miles of each other, I saw two together though over carpenters down nr Basingstoke. Also since last week I have seen willow tit on 5 sperate occasions, today I saw 2 together, and witin 1/2 hr a marsh tit (I also saw a marsh tit on my local patch on Saturday).

I've seen great, lesser and green woodpeckers every day for the last 5 days. Two sites and sightings of kingfisher, and also at the same locations heron, although at the seconds location the heron was much darker, almost blue, and a bit bigger than the first one.

I saw my first Chiffchaff today, at first thought it was a gold crest, even thought for a second it might be a firecrest until it perched 2 feet away and I got the ID. Very pleased, as it's a first for me.

Saw about 14 redwing today, I thought they'd all be off by now, but I guess I got lucky.

Same site I was able to watch a gorgeous male Kestrel circling and soaring above some woodland for 5 mins.

Also this week, I have seen 2 buzzard, 2 sparrowhawk, 9 grey wagtail, 27 goldfinch, 2 green finch, 1 hawfinch, 8 long tailed tit, 4 nuthatch, 12 mistle thrush, 3 song thrush, 2 tree creepers, 17 goldcrest, numerous chaffinch and great tit.

Also my local sparrow population, both tree and house seems to be without bounds, you can't walk for five mins without finding a colony.

Right, I'll stop now befoer the snores wake your neighbours!!!

Hi booga,

I'm new to birding and the fopurm and I see that you are in hampshire and mentioned carpenters down woods. I live in chineham so we are probably quite close, maybe we could meet up? so far i've been going down to farlingtonm marshes with my new scope but have no idea what potentioal there is on my doorstep so any guidance would bwe much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back