• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Day on the South Coast Feb 2003 (1 Viewer)

Jasonbirder

Jason-occasional-twitcher
A very belated report I know…

A Day on the South Coast 1/2/03

I was really looking forward to a full day out in the field. Despite some snow left on the ground the weather forecast for Southern England today was mild with sunshine and I was hoping to connect with a good selection of birds in Hampshire, Dorset & Devon.

Langstone Harbour, Hampshire

We arrived at Langstone Harbour at Bedhampton and walked East along the sea wall towards Bedhampton Creek, the tide was halfway out and lots of common waders were on show on the exposed mud, mainly Dunlin, Redshank, Ringed Plover and Grey Plover. Showing itself at ridiculously close range was my first Rock Pipit of the year, feeding long the base of the Sea Wall literally at our feet and announcing its presence with its distinctive call. Good numbers of Dark-bellied Brent Geese were present feeding amongst the muddy creeks and saltmarsh, but despite working through the birds we were unable to locate the recently reported Black Brant or Pale-bellied birds. As we came to the deeper water channel we were able to see a number of Red-Breasted Merganser and Goldeneye, also on show were at least six Black-necked Grebe, looking more like Little Grebes than Slavonian Grebe with their rounded head profile, sooty cheeks & necks, steep forehead, fluffed up bodies and dusky flanks. Most were feeding actively, diving constantly and covering quite a bit of water as they swam in the deep water channel and around the moored boats. We continued round to the slipway area, hoping to find the Ring-billed Gull, the bird is most regular at high tide but we were hoping to attract a few gulls with our trusty slices of mothers pride! Two Little Egrets were seen feeding in the outflow. Despite attracting a good sized flock of Black-headed Gulls and a smaller number of Common Gulls there was no sign of the Ring-billed Gull and we returned to the car having missed out on three of our target birds (Ring-billed Gull, Black Brant and Pale Bellied Brent Goose).

Lane End Down, Hampshire

We arrived here to look for the recently reported over wintering Black Kite, conditions were good with weak winter sunshine providing an incentive for Raptors to take to the air. A good number of other birders cars were pulled up alongside the minor road at Lane End Down and we pulled in and joined them. As we got out of the car we were straight onto three Red Kites seen well to the North of the road by the pumping station. They are always distinctive with their long, arched wings and forked tails. Good numbers of Common Buzzards could be seen, it provided a good opportunity to observe just how variable their plumage can be, ranging from light to dark, but they are always distinctive in profile with their short rounded tails. While we were scanning the skies for our quarry another birder called out the Black Kite flying low just above the valley ridge to our south. I was able to get brief views and able to see its all dark appearance with no visible rusty/rufous colouration but it was quickly lost to sight behind a small copse of trees. My mother had not been able to pick it up as it flew past and I was less than happy with my views so we headed down into the valley in the hope of picking it up again. Looking down into the valley, sheltered by a stand of tall trees, we were in a bit of a sun trap and it was easy to forget it had just turned February as we took off our coats and soaked up the sunshine!! If this didn`t get the Raptors up in the air nothing would! Buzzards and a couple of Red Kites appeared periodically and it was while scoping out one of the Red Kites, that I noted a "tatty" looking Kite in my field of view. As I knew that the Black Kite was missing a number of Primaries and Tail feathers this instantly aroused my suspicions. We all got onto the bird and it soon became obvious that this was the Black Kite. We watched it for at least ten minutes and were able to get excellent views both from below as it soared nearly overhead and also from above as it drifted into the valley. Its plumage was very tatty with three primaries missing from the right wing and two tail feathers missing. It seemed slightly shorter winged than Red Kite and definitely had a shallower tail fork. My impression was of a less elegant, slightly more ponderous flight, but whether that is typical or just because of this birds missing feathers I don`t know. Overall it was a sooty looking grey-black with no red or rufous tones in the plumage. There was a pale covert bar across the upperwings and pale patches on the underwings. Naturally enough given the date and length of this birds stay alot has been said about the origins of this bird I guess no-one will ever know but regardless it was a magnificent bird and one I had never expected to see so well.

Radipole Lake RSPB, Dorset

As we drove into Weymouth we stopped briefly at Radipole Lake to check the reserve for Bearded Tits and Cetti`s Warblers.A brief walk along the main path didn`t produce any singing Cetti`s Warblers, but as we paused and watched the reedbed we heard the distinctive metallic "pic-pic" call of Bearded Tit, pretty soon one flew out of the reedbed in front of us, flew over the path and into the reedbed adjacent to the river. It looked very unusual in flight with its long floppy tail, we were able to get brief views as it settled before disappearing deeper into the reeds.

More to follow.

I read these two the wrong way round, another great read. Also, it is shocking to see how much you covered. Do you drive like a bat out of hell? LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back