• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it true that bats can attack people when starving ? (1 Viewer)

Intet said:
Can a small bat attack people when starving or ist that a tell ??

/KB
http://www.sboats.com

Sorry,I could`nt resist previous answer.
In all seriousness bats attacking humans is an old wives tale, unless you live in South America where the true Vampire Bat will take a snack off any unprotected flesh.

Vampire bats have been reported to suck human blood. Don`t leave your window open if you`re sleeping in South America. Toes peeking out the bottom of the duvet are partiularly vulnerable, and when they bite, they inject `stuff` to stop the blood clotting. Then they simply wait until their stomachs are full, and fly off leaving your punctured artery to bleed dry. Many cattle die in South America this way each year.

Don`t have nightmares :gn:

Stuart Watson said:
Vampire bats have been reported to suck human blood. Don`t leave your window open if you`re sleeping in South America. Toes peeking out the bottom of the duvet are partiularly vulnerable, and when they bite, they inject `stuff` to stop the blood clotting. Then they simply wait until their stomachs are full, and fly off leaving your punctured artery to bleed dry. Many cattle die in South America this way each year.

Vampire bats don't 'suck' blood, they lap it. You are right about them 'injecting' an anti-coagulant but it is not so potent that it allows an artery to run dry: the danger from a Vampire attack lies in catching rabies, not in bleeding to death.

Intet said:
Can a small bat attack people when starving or ist that a tell ??

/KB
http://www.sboats.com

Here's a recent story on this subject from what I hope is a reliable source:

Vampire bats on attack in Brazil
Bites from rabies-carrying vampire bats killed 13 people in a north-eastern Brazilian state last month, the health ministry said on Friday.

The ministry said the record number of deaths was matched by an increase in bat attacks to about 300.

A programme to vaccinate domestic animals and people deemed at risk will begin in the area next week.

One report suggests scientists believe deforestation may be a factor behind the increase in attacks.

Vampire bats feed on mammalian blood, and can pass on rabies from animals to humans.

Laboratory tests have proven that six deaths in Para state were due to human rabies linked to bat bites, said health official Fernando Dourado, speaking to reporters in Belem on Friday.

Test results have not yet arrived for the seven other victims, but they displayed similar symptoms and had also been bitten.

Three people remain ill in hospital, one critically.

The cases appear to be concentrated in areas close to Marajo - the world's biggest estuarine archipelago.

More bats?

A health ministry spokesman told Reuters news agency government scientists believed the more aggressive behaviour of the bats could be linked to deforestation.

Greater availability of livestock, coupled with less vegetation for fruit-eating bats, could have favoured an increase in the numbers of vampire bats.

Deforestation could also force changes in bats' migration patterns, affecting their population and behaviour.

A doctor at the hospital where the patients died, Carmem Andrea Freitos, has also noticed changes in the incubation period of rabies in her recent patients.

Typically, patients with human rabies die an average of 20 days after being bitten, reported the regional newspaper O Liberal, but Dr Freitos says some of her patients were bitten up to six months ago.

Story from BBC NEWS:

I don't know of any native bats in northern Europe that would be capable of launching any sort of serious attack on a human. I was nibbled by a greater horseshoe whilst doing a cave survey once. The animal was clearly very agitated but it could hardly be described as a ferocious assault - it had a go at my thumb but couldn't break the skin!

Gus

Gus Horsley said:
I don't know of any native bats in northern Europe that would be capable of launching any sort of serious attack on a human. I was nibbled by a greater horseshoe whilst doing a cave survey once. The animal was clearly very agitated but it could hardly be described as a ferocious assault - it had a go at my thumb but couldn't break the skin!

Gus

There was recently (well, a year or so ago) an incident of a researcher contracting rabies in the UK from a bat which had flown across the channel. He was handling the bat for study purposes and rather stupidly he was not wearing gloves. Apart from the fact that the bat must have broken the skin, I can't remember any other details.

Yeah, I sort of remember that one. Like you, I can't recall the details. They can break the skin if they get a sensitive spot, not a thumb. I think the chances of catching rabies from resident bats in Britain is almost non-existant but there have been urban myths about it in the past. Perhaps we'll get a swarm of rabid killer bats through the channel tunnel one day. Keep away from Kent if that happens!

Gus

I might be wrong but i think two or three individuals (all bat handlers) have unfortunately been killed by bat rabies in the last 30 years in the whole of europe.
Bat rabies is not endemic in british bat populations anyway.

didn't stop the calls for bat culls when the last case occurred however.

Stuart Watson said:

Actually, they can't fly away once their stomachs are full. Their body weight increases so much that they have to go crawl under a bush or similar until they've digested the blood. Can't remember how long that takes, but I think it was at least an hour. But that may be a lie.
To the rest of you: people have been telling me that recently a bat ringer in Scotland has died of rabies. Although apparently this was also his own fault, as he chose not to go to hospital after being bitten. If you are very concerned about your personal welfare I suggest a rabies vaccination and common sense. :)

Lizzerd said:
Actually, they can't fly away once their stomachs are full. Their body weight increases so much that they have to go crawl under a bush or similar until they've digested the blood. Can't remember how long that takes, but I think it was at least an hour. But that may be a lie.
To the rest of you: people have been telling me that recently a bat ringer in Scotland has died of rabies. Although apparently this was also his own fault, as he chose not to go to hospital after being bitten. If you are very concerned about your personal welfare I suggest a rabies vaccination and common sense. :)

Are you saying rabies is in the UK??

Stranger said:
It`s perfectly true
Regards
Count Dracula
That did bring a grin to my face - well done. Looking at the phrasing of the question, though, I did wonder how the bat would recognise a starving person... Maybe they have a sense for such things.

(-;

At dusk during the summer months bats can be seen skimming just about our heads in the garden. I forget they are there most of the time. During the 25 years I have lived here the chances of getting bitten by a mosquito are 10,000 times more than being bitten by a bat.

Bride of Dracula

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back