• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Depth of View in Macro Mode (CP4500) (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Any tips on enhancing depth of view in Macro mode when photographing moths.

I seem to struggle to get the whole moth from top to tail in clear crisp focus despite having the camera on a post (with a column clamp) and set on a timer.

I also keep the macro flower symbol in it's optimal yellow setting.

Macro photography just like extreme telephoto range does mean a very narrow depth of field.

Bright conditions are about the only solution so as to gain the narrowest aperture and so greater depth of field. It's a issue with all macro photography not just the CP4500.

The CP4500 I find is one of the better digital cameras for macro use due to it's close focus distance - just as it's about the best one still for digiscoping!

I have since learnt that the macro facility in Auto Mode may be a solution, seems to be a lot better for focussing than the actual Macro mode itself. You do have to hold it a bit further away and zoom in though.

Andrew said:
Any tips on enhancing depth of view in Macro mode when photographing moths.
Andrew,

You could also try some of these:
1. Use aperture priority to lock the aperture to the minimum
2. Increase ISO sensitivity (+use NeatImage or Noise Ninja software)
3. If the target does not move at all, take a "panorama" series of images with different focusing points and assemble the final image.

Not necessarily very helpful... ;)

Ilkka

You need to use the camera in aperature priority mode.
To change this, while pressing 'mode', rotate the round button on top till you get an 'A' in bottom left corner of screen.

Then while you are taking photos, rotate the round button to increase the 'F' number. It should go up to about 10.0. This increases your depth of field. It decreases your shutter speed, but that's not an issue when clamped and on timer.

HTH

Thanks for that Angus, been practising on a pen nib and it seems to work well. Will test it on the moths from last night. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back