• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which 8 x 30? (1 Viewer)

barbarap

Hello! The moment has come to replace my aging binoculars. I want a pair of 8 x 30 or 8 x 32. I've looked at Opticron Traveller and Pentax 8 x 32 (all that is available in my local shop) and read some rave reviews about Leica (frighteningly expensive) and some about Nikon 8 x 32 E2. Would like not to spend more than £300 if possible.....any advice out there?
Thanks!
Barbara

barbarap said:
Hello! The moment has come to replace my aging binoculars. I want a pair of 8 x 30 or 8 x 32. I've looked at Opticron Traveller and Pentax 8 x 32 (all that is available in my local shop) and read some rave reviews about Leica (frighteningly expensive) and some about Nikon 8 x 32 E2. Would like not to spend more than £300 if possible.....any advice out there?
Thanks!
Barbara

The Nikon 8x30 E2 is a porro prism, and doesn't have the waterproofing and armoring of a Leica. However, it is very well constructed and certainly the optical equal of the expensive Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss roof models. Nikon has a 25 yr. no-fault warranty that's very effective (at least in the US). It may only be 10 yrs. in the UK. In the US the 8x30 E2 currently sells for $300 USD, so perhaps it would fit in your budget. This is what I would recommend. (I own a pre- Nikon E model and I'm very happy with it.)

Enjoy the view whatever you do.
Elkcub

Over budget but warehouseexpress are selling the Nikon HG8x32 for £379 its a good buy if its a little heavy.

Barbera,
You may have seen my thread regards Bresser Montana 8 x 32... well I bought em, second hand for £85.00 (after haggling), with 3 months warranty; apparently £180 - £200 new.
I also have a pair of Bushnell's but these Bresser's seem at least one class maybe two up from them. Oh; & waterproof nitrogen filled as well!
Please don't take this as advice but rather than a comment from a novice which might assist.
Al.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back