• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petition: Save the Common Leopards of Pakistan (1 Viewer)

Melanie

Germany
To: Government of Pakistan
July 28, 2005

To whom it may concern:

Dear Sir/Madam,

We would like to bring to your attention the recent news reports of leopard turning man-eaters in Pakistan. During the past 4-5 months there have been increasing reports of leopard-man conflict in the Galliat areas of N.W.F.P, Pakistan, with casualties on both sides. The recent killings of 6 women by leopards in the Galliat areas have brought into focus the need to implement strategies that protect both the people and their wildlife heritage. While predation on domestic livestock by leopards is common, this is the first time leopards have turned man-eaters in Pakistan. There has never been any recorded instance of leopards turning man eaters in Pakistan. Out of fear the authorities have started a shoot to kill policy, without taking into consideration the negative effect of this. So far 2 leopards thought to be man-eaters have been shot, even though laboratory tests have negated the wildlife department’s claim of man-eaters. Now the provincial environment department is considering a wildlife directorate proposal to introduce leopard trophy hunting in the Galliat region, according to official sources. The wildlife department insists that since the population of common leopards in the Galliat region has doubled in the last five years, leopard trophy hunting would entail dual benefits for the local communities as it would help them earn foreign exchange as well as lower the threat posed to human life. This is totally ill-founded and unsubstantiated. There is still not a viable population of leopards in Galliat areas and it is still a protected species. Besides, there are other viable options to solving this problem instead of killing them in cold blood. Placing the common leopard on the schedule of game animals will not only aggravate the problem but will expose the animals to the threat of illegal hunting. We urge the Government of Pakistan, NWFP Wildlife Department, the affected local communities and other stakeholders to come up with a solution that not only protects these beautiful cats but also respects the right of people to survive. We have already lost the Lion, Tiger and the Cheetah from Pakistan. Please make sure this symbol of the Galliat forests of Pakistan doesn't follow in their footsteps.

Sincerely,

Here is the petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/lep_9553/petition.html

It is important that as much people as possible undersign this petition to stop the slaughter of leopards in Pakistan. Silence is agreement and the extinction of the leopards in Pakistan will be inevitable.

Last edited:
just thought I'd bring this to the top of the tree again as many may have missed it and may at least want to read it if not sign the petition....
The Bluetit

It's a pity that so less people from Western countries have interest to undersign this petition. But don't say i haven't warned you if the last snowleopard and the leopard get killed in Pakistan. Some people may not believe in the power of petitions but i do it.

Don't want to be a complete pain in the proverbial.... BUT -
Here we are, a fantastic GLOBAL site for birds and birdlovers and judging by all the other forums most/ all of us have interests in and passions for a lot of other aspects of the natural world. Then why oh why is something so important passing through here vitually unnoticed? One might say I overdramatise, but this IS a call for help.
I know there will be some who have missed this so far, and some who don't believe in signing petitions in general or this one in particular for whatever reasons - political, personal, who knows - and some perhaps feel not informed enough to sign with conviction, but this group of animals have no other advocates for their survival than the people who help them, in this instance via a signature. The more people sign, the bigger the impact will be to effect an allround positive outcome.
I apologise in advance should I be treading on anyones toes with my plea, that is not intended, not towards individuals nor Birdforum as a whole.
Please consider.

From the Bluetit.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back