• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barred Owl calling in August? (1 Viewer)

wroughtiron

Patriotic User
I was surprised to hear a Florida Barred Owl calling at 3:30 AM Friday morning, August 12, 2005. It was a pair of Florida Barred Owls calling between one another with their trade mark call that sounds like "Who cooks for you; who cooks for you all?"

Has anyone else heard this owl calling during the month of August? Are these mating calls or just territory calls?

Samuel Wilson
Tallahassee, Florida
Bless the USA

Last edited:
If anyone has anything to say about Barred Owls, please reply.

Samuel Wilson
Tallahassee, Florida
Bless the USA

Last edited:
Hi wroughtiron,

Not a Barred Owl expert by any means but I have noticed the same thing here in CT. I in fact usually hear them late summer/fall in my yard and then again in spring for a while - after that all's quiet for the year - I should imagine it's territorial calling at the moment.

Luke

Luke, I was thinking the same thing. Last year, I don't recall hearing them during this time in August. The Florida Barred Owl's breeding season is supposed to usually wind down by late May or early July. I was hoping someone else who resided in Florida was hearing Florida Barred Owls currently in their area. I actually made a recording of the Florida Barred Owl (Owl_Audio_File.mpeg).

Samuel Wilson
Tallahassee, Florida
Bless the USA

Attachments

• Owl_Audio_File.mpeg
    77 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Once again, I heard them calling. This is very strange for this late in the year. I have a hard time believing it is territorial calls because it just goes on for what seems like hours.

Samuel Wilson
Tallahassee, Florida
Bless the USA

Barred Owl sighting

I just happen to be lucky enough to witness a large Barred Owl swoop out of the woods and flank the side of my house to snatch a tree frog. These frogs are attracted to the night lights. The Barred Owl's flight was absolutely silent. I just happen to be looking up when it happened. It perched in a nearby tree and I was going to go for my camera, but it took flight before I could even go in the house. It was around 2:40 AM Tuesday.

Samuel Wilson
Tallahassee, Florida
SamuelWilsonUSA At hotmail.com

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back