• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujinon Techno-Stabilization 14x40 (1 Viewer)

Bryant

Just wondering if anyone here on the forums has had any experience with the Fujinon Techno-Stabilization 14x40 binoculars ? My oldest son who is in the military, and who shares my interest and passion for good binoculars, recently called me and said "DAD ! You gotta try these....", speaking of the Fujinon Technos. His excitement piqued my iterest to the point that I have been researching what little information there is available on the web on this particular model. TIA for any info or opinions.

Bryant

That would interest me too, I am using Canons with IS that I love but would like to so more companys getting in on the act.

Mick

Looking at the specs, what I found most interesting was the fact that the "Technos" have a stabilization compensation angle of +- 5 degrees for a 4 degree TFOV. Think about that for a minute ! It would be next to impossible to "bounce" these things short of intentional very wide swings, although the "lag-factor" would definately be more pronounced when panning. The Canons on the other hand are all restricted to +- 1 degree or less from what I understand, with the "Technos" taking up where the Canons leave off. These are becoming more and more interesting.

Bryant

The drawback of such a great ability to stablize is a high frequency jitter in the image. Sure you can't bounce the bird out of the view, but he'll look like he's slightly vibrating. Maybe better for ships than birds?

Robert Ellis said:
The drawback of such a great ability to stablize is a high frequency jitter in the image. Sure you can't bounce the bird out of the view, but he'll look like he's slightly vibrating. Maybe better for ships than birds?

I had seen mention of that idiosyncracy on another forum. Wouldn't such a jitter or vibration tend to blur the image rather than just vibrate it ? Was this on current production Technos or on an earlier pair ? Thanks.

Bryant

G'day,

I have the Fujinon 14*40s and am familiar with the high frequency oscillations.

However, these oscillations are only slightly noticeable when engaging the stabilisation in a stationary posture but are still vastly preferable to the inevitable hand-shake at 14X. In fact, far more annoying is the oscillation resulting from one's own elevated pulse upon stopping to view whilst trekking! In other words the stabilisation mechanism is not as effective as a quality tripod in a stationary position but is the next best thing (albeit that I am not familiar with monopods).

Out on the water, on the highway or up in the air, the stabilisation is highly effective and the oscillation artifact is much less noticeable in these dynamic moving or vibrating environments.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back