• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Haweswater for Golden Eagles? (1 Viewer)

Gramayr

Slightly barking..
I've read that you can see Golden Eagles at Haweswater in the Lakes.
Anyone had any experience of this area, and if so is it easy to get to as it says its remote on the RSPB website.
Many thanks.

Yes it is a little remote, but on a nice day well worth the trip just for the scenery let alone the Golden Eagles or should I say 'Eagle' this year - there's just the one again.

There's a 'road' as far as the head of Hawewater reservoir - 'several miles of narrow country lane' may be a better description. Once you reach the end of the road - literally - there is a fair sized car park. It can get full, but even leaving midday we've always found there were still spaces.

The Eagle rarely strays out of Riggindale which is a the next valley to the north. There's a very good footpath that you follow for a mile or so around the bluff. Once you drop into Riggindale you head up the valley bottom to the RSPB watchpoint. They have scopes set up so you don't need your own unless you want to take your own.

Views from the watchpoint vary between very good to non existent - it depends on the day. Last time we went it stayed say on a rock for over 90 minutes - a very distant blur. There were Ring Ousel on the cliffs above to look at as well as a Peregrine making frequent appearances.

If you go then at least a half day is needed just for the Eagle visit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, may be a bit late now - since the observation point closes in August. Will no doubt go next year.

Gramayr said:
Thanks for the info, may be a bit late now - since the observation point closes in August. Will no doubt go next year.

If you go in the Spring - April-ish you may get display flights. There was quite a lot of discusion in this thread earlier in the year. Also some phots and maps of the site.

Nigel G said:
If you go in the Spring - April-ish you may get display flights. There was quite a lot of discusion in this thread earlier in the year. Also some phots and maps of the site.
Wonderful, thanks for that.

The last time I saw a Goldie was in Scotland. We'd spent a week in Fort William, staying at the caravan park on the Mallaig road (Loch Lochy?) our static we were staying at looked directly onto Ben Nevis and every day we looked for a Goldie - but to no avail. As we were leaving we saw a very large bird near the summit - deffinalty a Goldie. I drove home quite happy. Would be nice to see one closer to home.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back