• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida: Everglades Mosquitos in September (1 Viewer)

Egret

For reasons that are too complicated to explain - we should have been in Portugal- we will be birding in Florida in September.

Just how bad are the mosquitos? Is the Everglades watchable? We will, of course, be taking all the appropriate precautions but I still remember Key Largo mossies biting me through a t-shirt. Even more I remember nights of horror fishing amongst the midges of Loch Goil. The solution then was to get a nice "wet" fire burning and stand in the smoke. Not an option while birdwatching!

Andy

September maybe a little better than August but I doubt it. The last time I was there was in January and down Snake Bight Trail, they would eat you alive. You have to take mosquito repellent without a doubt. Down around Eco Pond, they weren't bad, nor around the lodge but any place in the swamps, they were there, some places worse than others.

Expect lots of mosquitos!

We went to the Everglades in November a few years ago. It was just after a hurricane and all the locals raved about how few mosquitos there were. We found the numbers amazingly high -- and we live in Houston, where mosquitos are very very common. My wife was bitten quite a few times just walking 15 yards from the car to the cabin!

I was hardly bitten at all on our trip, because I bought a roll-on tube of 100% DEET at the park store and used it liberally.

BTW, we found that Eco Pond was by far the best birding spot, particularly around dawn.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back