• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eos D30 (1 Viewer)

affe22

Does anyone still use the Canon EOS D30? I know it is an older model but I am looking at getting a new digital camera and was thinking about the FZ20 by Panasonic when I stumbled upon these models on EBay. What is the general consensous about them?

Just get a 10D if you are looking at used Canon DSLRs... The D30 is really outdated and I'd say isn't even worth considering. 3.11mp, 2,160x1,440, noise levels are high by today's standards, no warranty since it is used and it is a slow mover.

I considered this DSLR when going digital but dumped it because of those reasons but I still wish I got a 10D or 20D (I love my D70 but hate Nikon's lens selection).

The FZ20 isn't bad but I think it is high on noise and distortion and low on speed (but my D70 spoils me with its very low noise levels and speedy performance).

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz20-review/index.shtml

Sooo... I say save up for a 10D or some other Canon DSLR like I did to get my D70 and enjoy the versatility and quality of a DSLR! Just not a 30D...

The D30 was a good performer in it's day and I dare say still produces great photos but it's very long in the tooth in terms of digital technology.

I've considered one myself as I'd still like to get into DSLRs at some point but I disregarded the D30 almost straight away. I think the D60 was a much better camera - but nowadays I'd at least want a 350D or a 20D or even the D70.

As regards comparing the D30 to the FZ20 - it's toss up time as to which way you want to go and the reasons for having a particular design of camera. The FZ20 is a compact camera with built in lens and image stabiliser. The D30 is a lot heavier, bulkier and still needs a decent (as in expensive) long lens - but I suspect will produce better photos despite it's age - assuming it's still in good working and reliable working order.

I'd agree with others that the new Canon dslr's would be a better bet, however they'll cost you a fair bit more. That said, if you are intending to end up with a dslr, then the 30D would be a better buy that the Panasonic FZ20. It would give you an opportunity to start out with dslr, and of course any lenses you buy could be used with a newer camera if you decided to upgrade in the future.
It's worth noting that the camera might not be the biggest expense if you go down the dslr road. Once you've got a camera with interchangeable lenses, you'll just end up wanting more and more lenses. A good telephoto for bird shots, a nice wide angle for landscapes, a decent macro for flowers and insects and of course a general use mid-length zoom.... and when you've got all those you'll just want better ones with better glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back