• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon s2IS or wait for Panasonic FZ30 (1 Viewer)

glazzers

I would be interested in any comments to help me choose a new ultra zoom for wildlife and bird photograhy. I am presently considering the Canon S2 IS but like the sound of the new Panasonic Lumix FZ30 which is due out in the next 2 months ??

glazzers said:
I would be interested in any comments to help me choose a new ultra zoom for wildlife and bird photograhy. I am presently considering the Canon S2 IS but like the sound of the new Panasonic Lumix FZ30 which is due out in the next 2 months ??

Just go for the Panasonic FZ5: cheaper then the FZ30, and much smaller: you are much more likely to have it with you when you need it. My daughter bought one and I was almost impressed enough to buy one for myself as well (ended up buying a new Canon 400mm F5.6L lens instead).

It's just a matter of price .\
As far as i know - the panasonic will go for around 700$ , and the canon S2 is 400+$.
They both give great pics.
The S2 has quite a learning curve but it's worth it .

The FZ30 can be purchased for around $600 and I have seen it lower than that by about $30. I have yet to see a review of it or pictures taken by it though.

affe22 said:
The FZ30 can be purchased for around $600 and I have seen it lower than that by about $30. I have yet to see a review of it or pictures taken by it though.

There's a full review on www.dpreview.com They consider the camera to be a superbly designed bit of kit that is let down by noise issues (apparently worse than the FZ5 and FZ20).

I half considered upgrading from the FZ20 - but if the noise is worse on the FZ30 then there seems little point as I mostly use it at full zoom with converters added which accentuates any noise issues. Even with the FZ20 I never go above ISO 80 though 100 is okay as well. The FZ20 is a fine camera as it stands.

As per usual the site/magazine reviews always read very well, but it's users reviews that have always counted more for me.

Last edited:
I fancied the Z30 until I read about the noise issues. My S2 gives fantastic results and is a really fantastic camera. OK in some lighting conditions it can not give the results you want, but for the price you have to pay it is fantastic. I now take a DLSR with one lens for the subject matter, ie wide or tele and the S2 to cover anything else.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back