• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do coquettes mimic sphinx moths? (1 Viewer)

tomjenner

On several occasions I have been almost certain that I have seen a Black-crested Coquette, only to realise on better views that it is actually a sphinx moth. I was once birding with two of the top birders in northern Central America when one of them called out that he had a coquette. He was then of course very embarrased when it was re-identified by us. About an hour later the other very experienced birder did exactly the same. At first I thought he was just joking, but he had made exactly the same mistake. Coquettes are actually quite rare in Central America and my only sighting has been in Costa Rica. I was struck by the fact that it seemed to buzz around slowly, exactly like a sphinx moth, and was ignored by all the other hummingbirds which spent half of their time attacking one another.
Does anyone know if there have been any studies to show that this is a form of mimicry to avoid being attacked by other hummingbirds, or whether the patterning and buzzy flight just happen to be convergent evolution for a similar lifestyle?

Tom

Last edited:
I believe that Karl-L Schuchmann was touting just such a hypothesis a few years back, but I'm unclear on the specifics and didn't find anything through Google (with his publishing record, it's hard to believe that he hasn't published on it yet, but I don't speak/read German).

Though most sphinx moths in the U.S. don't fool experienced birders for more than a few seconds, there's was a similar case of mistaken identity back in 1978 in Big Bend National Park. Birders rushing to the location of a reported Black-crested Coquette found none but did spot an Aellopos-type sphinx moth with a lovely whitish rump band.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back