• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hummer truckstop is open for business (1 Viewer)

PennyD

I don't know who put the word out but this morning everytime I went to a window or door there are hummers buzzing here and there and everywhere. They have found my 'secret garden which is just a small semi shady alcove outside my back door that I threw extra seedlings of balsam, salvia etc. into for lack of any place else to plant them. I had moved my candy corn vine there also since we are getting ready to put the crushed stone down for the patio. There was a very timid male and female in the midst of all the flora. The male had taken over the Black and Blue Guaranitica and the female was having her way with the candy corn vine. Another plump female was monopolizing one of the feeders and another perusing the salvias beneath her. The female at the candy corn vine was there for a very long time and very close to the window so I could have gotten a real good shot of her but I forgot to get the camera out of the van yesterday. Will have to remember to do that when DH get back from the office this morning. Hoping to be able to share at least one photo before they are all gone for the season.
Penny

Hi Penny,
Sure is good to hear you talking about hummers in the plural .
Make sure they get a belly full so they can make it to me here in Apopka .

Lee

Penny, it sounds like you are in Hummingbird heaven, enjoy it while it last, I love this time of year. I think all my adults have left, but I have lots of young ones buzzing around enjoying both the gardens and the feeders. Last year I had them until late October, I hoping this year will be the same.
Vicki

Same here, I have a mass of hummers hitting the feeders. Don't know whether it has anything to do with Ophelia hanging around outside our coastline but was surprised to see a male adult ruby-throat unless it's a juvie that has come into full color already but I don't think so.

KC,
I also had an adult male early this morning but didn't see him this afternoon. Will have to check the Salvia B & B early tomorrow morning as that is where he was this a.m.

Crickieheather
Last year all mine were gone by mid September and I had very few northern migrators. They seemed to all leave at once and it was very lonesome around here.

Vicki
Today turned out to be an amazing day after only a few scattered visits throughout the week. They hit the feeders and flowers about 6:30 this morning and it was non stop until mid morning and then on and off throughout the rest of the day. This was very unusual for me. Usually once they start heading south I only see one or two until mid Sept and then zippo.

Mimidi and Lee,
I really think these birds are migrators they don't stick around after they feed they are off and running but they aren't the least bit skiddish either. They were coming to the feeders even when my husband was right under them mowing the grass or when I was milling about the garden. They were definitely on a mission to fuel up and they were quite plump already so between what they are already carrying around and the fuel they will get here and along the way hopefully they will still have some of that bulk when they get to y'all. There was one particularly chubby female that looked like she was ready to drop an egg.

Penny

That's great Penny! I only have two inmatures and all they do is eat and chase each other or the bees. The catbirds have been chasing them lately too. In May and thru out the summer they were chasing the catbirds now it's reversed Sarah

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back