• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Banding in Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade

Fall Bird Banding at Missouri Western State University (MWSU)

Jack, my bird banding friend, and I began banding birds a week or so ago on the campus of Missouri Western State University. This location is about four miles from where I live in Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA. Up until yesterday we had been having minimal success in netting and banding the birds. There just seemed to be only a few birds around. However, yesterday we succeeded in the capturing and banding of twenty-four birds. A fairly decent result from a couple of hours of early morning banding.

Nashville Warbler - 13
House Wren - 3
Gray Catbird - 1
Wilson's Warbler - 1
Common Yellowthroat - 1
Least Flycatcher - 1
Black-capped Chickadee - 1
Mourning Warbler - 1
Red-eyed Vireo - 1
Indigo Bunting - 1

Today (September 15, 2005) We banded at the above location for about 45 minutes between rain showers.

Least Flycatcher - 2
Gray Catbird - 1
"Trail's" Flycatcher (Alder/Willow complex) - 1
Wilson's Warbler - 1
House Wren - 1
Nashville Warbler - 3
Orange-crowned Warbler - 1
*plus one recapture of a Mourning Warbler (just banded a few days ago).

We are hoping for a southern push of migrants in the next few weeks. More species of warblers, vireos, kinglets and then the various native sparrow would be expected. Of course, we do net and band some of the resident species when they are captured in the nets.

Last edited:
(September 15, 2005) after the rain subsided somewhat, we were able to net/band again for about 45 minutes, commencing about 4 PM. This resulted in the banding seven more birds which were some of the same species which were banded in the morning session.

Least Flycatcher - 2
Wilson's Warbler - 1
Nashville Warbler - 3
House Wren -1

Banding at MWSU, Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA

This morning it was quite cool on the campus of MWSU here in Saint Joseph. We were able to band several nice birds. Below is a sampling of some which we did band.

Attachments

• MWSU 003a.jpg
    MWSU 003a.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 286
  • MWSU 005a.jpg
    MWSU 005a.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 288
  • MWSU 006a.jpg
    MWSU 006a.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 301
Today's Catch, plus one photo

Bird Banding MWSU Campus, Saint Joseph, Missouri

We set the mist nets up at 6:30 this morning on the college campus and after a less than active morning took them down about 9:30 AM. Birds caught and banded were:

Nashville Warbler - 6
Least Flycatcher - 2
Blue-headed Vireo - 1

A bird which was caught and not banded was a Ruby-throated Hummingbird. We only rarely catch a hummingbird. After taking this one's photo we released it. We do not band hummingbirds.

Attachments

• MWSU010a.jpg
    MWSU010a.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 286
After about three weeks of "lackluster" netting and banding, the bird activity has picked up again. Yesterday we banded 30 birds of thirteen species at the campus of Missouri Western State University in Saint Joseph.

Northern Flicker (yellow-shafted) - 2
House Wren - 1
Gray Catbird - 1
Brown Thrasher - 1
American Robin - 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 9
Orange-crowned Warbler - 8
Nashville Warbler - 2
Common Yellowthroat - 1
Northern Cardinal - 1
American Goldfinch - 1
Eastern Towhee - 1
Lincoln's Sparrow - 1

Today I was unable to help with the bird banding, but two new birds for the fall season were banded by my fellow bird bander.

Tufted Titmouse and Vesper Sparrow

Today at Missouri Western State University campus, Jack Hilsabeck and I netted/banded 16 different species, *one
additional species was netted but was a recapture.

Summary:

*Black-capped Chickadee - *none banded, (2 recaptures)
Tufted Titmouse - 2 banded
Brown Creeper -1 banded
Marsh Wren - 1 banded
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 3
Orange-crowned Warbler - 2 banded, (3 recaptures)
Nashville Warbler - 1 banded, (1 recapture)
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 3 banded
Northern Cardinal - 3 banded
Purple Finch - one female banded
Dark-eyed Junco - 1 banded
American Tree Sparrow - 1 banded (First one of the season for me)
White-throated Sparrow - 3 banded
Fox Sparrow - 2 banded
Lincoln's Sparrow - 2 banded
Swamp Sparrow - 1 banded
Song Sparrow - 11 banded

Hi Larry,

Interesting to read about your banding experiences. I was suprised that Orange-crowned Warblers seem to be so abundant there - on the East Coast they are something of rarity (well pretty uncommon at least) and I tend to identify them with the western part of the country - is it common to see so many? Some nice pics as well - looking forward to more of your exploits. Luke

Luke, probably our most common migrating warbler is the Yellow-rumped Warbler, then the Orange-crowned, Tennessee and Nashville Warblers would follow (in respect to their relative abundance). So here Orange-crowned are considered to be quite common.
Cheers!

Couple of Photos of Birds Banded Today

Photos of a couple of the birds we banded today. Identification should be pretty straightforward.

Attachments

• Photo # 002a.jpg
    Photo # 002a.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 268
  • Photo # 003a.jpg
    Photo # 003a.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 262
In addition to the American Goldfinches, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, White-throated Sparrows, Dark-eyed Junco, Northern Cardinals and Black-capped Chickadee we also netted and banded this little guy this morning.

Should be quite familiar with British birders!

Click here.

Edit: The little Winter Wren seems to have disappeared from the photo album, but that was the bird I was referring to above.

No, citrinella, the little wren did not spin in the net and was removed without any difficulty.

Sometimes though, some of the birds do tend to get quite tangled. We have crochet hooks that we use when this happens to help us untangle the birds. These work very well in retrieving the birds from the nets unharmed.

As of yesterday, we had banded 117 Nashville Warblers. Compared to last year's fall banding session we banded about 40 Nashville Warblers. So this was quite an increase. And the number of recaptures of these 117 was I believe 3, indicating that these birds are not staying in a given area for very much time. They appear to be just passing through the area. The Orange-crowned and Yellow-rumped Warblers show much highter percentage of recaptures which indicates to us that they are staying several days in the area, possibly fattening up more for their journeys to the south.

Some of the birds we have banded can be viewed here.

This morning Jack Hilsabeck and I netted and banded some birds on the campus of Missouri Western State University, Saint Joseph, Missouri. The cool front which moved through our area last night seemed to "do the trick". During the previous few days we had been banding very few birds. Perhaps our best species during those days was Canada Warbler, as we banded an adult male on the 28th of August and an adult female on the 29th of August.

Today (August 30th, 2007) however, we mist netted 26 birds and banned 25. (I accidently allowed a House Wren to escape before it was banned!)

Here is the list of the 25 birds which we did band.

Alder or Willow, aka. "Trail's" Flycatcher - 1
Least Flycatcher - 2
Red-eyed Vireo - 2
Black-capped Chickadee - 1
Gray Catbird - 2
Nashville Warbler - 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 2
Magnolia Warbler - 1
Black-and-white Warbler - 1
Mourning Warbler - 2
Wilson's Warbler - 9, yes nine Wilson's
Northern Cardinal - 1

ayasuda,

In post #9, the first photo is of a Fox Sparrow, Passerella iliaca.
The second photo is a Brown Creeper, Certhia americana.

Jack and I will be bird banding at Missouri Western State University Campus, Saint Joseph, Missouri, through September and October (maybe a little bit into November, weather permitting).

Here were our results for today, August 31, 2007,

"Trail's Flycatcher" (Alder/Willow) - 1
Least Flycatcher - 2
Gray Catbird - 1
Brown Thrasher - 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 1
Magnolia Warbler - 1
Ovenbird - 1
Mourning Warbler - 1
Wilson's Warbler - 3
Canada Warbler - 1
Northern Cardinal - 1
American Goldfinch - 1

ayasuda, we have re-captured several birds. Most our re-captured birds were first banded only several days before their re-capture. Some have been banded by us one or or two years prior to their re-capture. So the maximum age we would have for a bird would be 3 or 4 years old.

We have not captured a bird that has been banded by someone other than ourselves (in case you were wondering about that).

September 10, 2007

Jack and I, together with one of Jack's former bird class students banded birds this morning on the campus of Missouri Western State University here in Saint Joseph, Missouri. (*I missed yesterday's bird banding session when 36 birds were banded.) Today we netted nine birds of nine species (two of them were re-captured birds which we had banded at this same site).

The birds netted were:
Gray Catbird
Marsh Wren
Common Yellowthroat
"Trail's" Flycatcher (Willow Flycatcher/Alder Flycatcher)
Philadelphia Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Wilson's Warbler (re-capture)
Red-eyed Vireo
Northern Cardinal (banded by us here on August 31, 2005)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back