• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine? Help (1 Viewer)

adw73uk

Need some help with an ID - I am what I consider an amateur birder, I don't go targetting particular species, but always have an eye open where ever I am and am keen to make an ID.

Spotted this above the A2 in Kent - was driving at the time but have no piccs. Saw a large bird, only in silhouette but clearly a raptor, at a fair distance. It was alternating between wing flaps and soaring about 5 - 10 seconds each at a time. Having just got back from the west country where I had seen loads of Buzzzards, I thought it was also a Buzzard - the size was right, but it didn't look right. As I got closer, the outline looked more falcon like, at times the wings looked slim and rakish like a hobby, then the wings would broaden and the bird would soar.

Seeing only a silhouette, I got no idea of colour and size is always a bit difficult to judge, but my first insticnt it was around buzzard sized. Have a feeling it was a peregrine, but didn't think that they 'soared' and only really got to see it for about 30 seconds, and I did have one eye on the road (honest!).

Would like to hear others thoughts.

Probable not very helpful but I was told once that the flap and glide thing was classic Sparrowhawk flight when not hunting.

Mick

Mickymouse said:
Probable not very helpful but I was told once that the flap and glide thing was classic Sparrowhawk flight when not hunting.

Mick

Yeah - that's my understanding as well, but I thought that was when they were in horizontal flight (or is that my misunderstanding!). This bird looked to be rising on thermals?

adw73uk said:
Yeah - that's my understanding as well, but I thought that was when they were in horizontal flight (or is that my misunderstanding!). This bird looked to be rising on thermals?

Sparrowhawks commonly make use of thermals, often gaining height very quickly then making a long glide (eg. back towards the nest with prey). I've often seen Goshawks using thermals too - sometimes culminating in a dramatic, Peregrine-like stoop onto a pigeon!

Cheers,

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back