• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sticking around? (1 Viewer)

crickieheather

Hummer-crazy
How common is it for birds to stick around for longer than two or three days durring migration? I read somewhere that if a hummingbird known to be migrating (that is, not seen at your feeders all summer) stays longer than two days, there could be somehting wrong with it.
Looking back over my hummingbird journal, I've had two known to be migrating birds for 10 days! How rare is this?
Heather
Athens, GA

Heather:
How do you know it is the same bird? Without a band on the bird, and someone reading the band, this is impossible unless there is a distinctive mark on the bird that would not be on any other bird.
Migrating hummingbirds often depart VERY early in the morning (just as the sun is rising). New birds for the area often arrive in late hours of the afternoon. If we are not actually seeing this happen, we may, and often do, assume the birds are lingering when they are not.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

humminbird said:
Heather:
How do you know it is the same bird? Without a band on the bird, and someone reading the band, this is impossible unless there is a distinctive mark on the bird that would not be on any other bird.
Migrating hummingbirds often depart VERY early in the morning (just as the sun is rising). New birds for the area often arrive in late hours of the afternoon. If we are not actually seeing this happen, we may, and often do, assume the birds are lingering when they are not.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Yes, I'm well aware of how similar hummingbirds look. Yes, He does have a distiguishing mark and behaivior. He has a single white feather on the lower left side of his back. Since he perches in the same tree everyday (and that tree happens to be right beside a window) I can see the white feather and confirm it's the same bird.

I hope the hummer here is doing ok! She has been here since last friday (23th). We have never seen a hummer here past labour day...

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back