• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Venezuelan Bat - Identification Help (1 Viewer)

Graham Harcombe

s/y Ellida
Greetings to Forum Members

My wife and I are year-round cruisers, living aboard our 40' sailing yacht and for the last five years we have been in and around the Caribbean Sea.

Last month we sailed a short distance from Puerto la Cruz on the Northern coast of Venezuela to Isla Tortuga, just 60 miles to the Northwest.

At dawn I was alone in the cockpit and had an invasion of bats; scores of them, trying to find a secluded spot to spend the daylight hours. I chased them away for about an hour leaving just two determined little fellows in inaccessible (but visible) places. Later, when my wife came on deck for her watch, we had a discussion and reckoned on balance that could be even more unhygienic than us, so they were ejected.

We have however had difficulty in identifying their species/type; and that is where I hope someone may be able to help.

* Jet black all over.
* <= 100 millimetres body length
* pointed nose
chihuahua-like face except for pointed teeth
definitely not pug-faced like the vampire or fruit bats
* long tail 50mm

In appearance very similar to Emballanura Semicordata, (usually pacific islands) but obviously way out of habitat.

Graham Harcombe
s/v Ellida of Laira
currently Curacao, Netherland Antilles

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back