PDA

View Full Version : Redwings starting to arrive

kas
Monday 19th September 2005, 21:27
I saw my first flock of redwing today. About 20 birds in a field next to work. This field normally has redwing throughout the winter. So think I'll go looking at some of the fieldfare huants at the weekend.

Edward
Monday 19th September 2005, 21:33
Still stacks of them here in gardens and the local cemetery but with nothing but northerlies forecast for the next few days here, they might decide to start heading south.

E

kas
Monday 19th September 2005, 21:37
I wil look forward to more arrivals,
Thanks

Bluetail
Monday 19th September 2005, 21:38
Aha! I was only thinking today that it's about time they started to show up.

delia todd
Monday 19th September 2005, 21:45
Thanks for that Kas. They should be here soon then. I do so love to see them.

D

terryeyre
Monday 19th September 2005, 23:02
not many berries for them when they arrive here.

Sue Wright
Tuesday 20th September 2005, 00:55
not many berries for them when they arrive here.

We've quite a few berries down here in Somerset, though nothing like as many as last year, so suppose we won't get any Waxwings????? Thought not. Still, the Redwings will be great to see.

Saw our first Redwing of the SUMMER in June near Fort William!!! When recording it was told that it's not unheard of for them to be in Scotland in summer, but first in that area.

Sue

Keith Reeder
Tuesday 20th September 2005, 07:26
I saw my first two of the year on Saturday.

Ken Hall
Tuesday 20th September 2005, 09:53
They were reported in Aberdeen suburbs last week. And yes, they do breed in small numbers in Northern Scotland.
Ken

John N
Tuesday 20th September 2005, 14:28
I look forward to seeing them return, but there are not many berries to eat for them here either.

kas
Tuesday 20th September 2005, 15:35
We've quite a few berries down here in Somerset, though nothing like as many as last year, so suppose we won't get any Waxwings????? Thought not. Still, the Redwings will be great to see.

Saw our first Redwing of the SUMMER in June near Fort William!!! When recording it was told that it's not unheard of for them to be in Scotland in summer, but first in that area.

Sue

We still had quite a few straglers left in June as well, but I think some have been known to stay for the summer.

There is not alot of trees up this way, but what rowans I have seen have been bursting with berries. And I would be a liar if I said I didnt think of waxwings when I saw the redwings.

Tero
Tuesday 20th September 2005, 15:49
Cool, a bird I am very familiar with...
http://weaselhead.org/phpbb/files/redwing_115.jpg

Jos Stratford
Tuesday 20th September 2005, 16:04
Two pairs bred in my woodland this year, but even in this northern land, they are not abundant breeders (unlike Fieldfares which are everywhere)