• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inland Auks (1 Viewer)

John M

Hi folks,

The west coast of Scotland has its fair share of "shipwrecked" auks, today I found a Buzzard feeding on a Little Auk near my house, about two hundred metres from the sea.
But on Thursday, last week, I saw two dead Guillemots in Glen Falloch, about forty miles from the sea. This Glen runs between Loch Lomond north to Crainlarich.
Anyone else found them blown so far inland?

Cheers
John.

I remember seeing a Guillemot on the river Nene in Northampton sometime in the 1980s. I know that this was only about the fifth county record and most of the other auks were rarer still. Little Auk is certainly the only species that turns up inland with any frequency.

had 2 guillemots swimming up loch long at arrochar last weekend, both came ashore and died within hours of each other. very strange and sad.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back