• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sabs in the Forth (1 Viewer)

Woodchatshrike

A message to all the central Scotland seawatchers. There is a Sabines Gull being seen regularly from most of the popular seawatching spots in the Forth. The most reliable site is Kinghorn in Fife but it has also been seen from the Lothian side as well.
Other birds in the area include 100+ little gulls, a few Poms and good numbers of Bonx, Arctics and Manx. Yesterday there were regular flocks of Scaup flying upstream but the most suprising was a Common Snipe. That is a seawatch first for me!
Good luck to all who look.

Failed to catch the Sabs but a lot of other interesting (but commoner) stuff about. Scattered rafts of Little gulls, still a few Sandwich Terns.... with a few Arctic Skuas on their tails, Bonxies, Manxies & a few Poms. Poor images enclosed -light fading & birds not close in but include Arctic Skua on a Sandwich Tern, a Bonxie, an adult pale Pom (strong cap, yellowish neck, beer-belly, strong breast-band & spooned tail extension) & another probable Pom. All seen over an hour on monday evening @ Kinghorn (Fife).

Attachments

• Arctic-Skua-+-Sandwich-Tern.jpg
    Arctic-Skua-+-Sandwich-Tern.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 677
  • Bonxie.jpg
    Bonxie.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Adult-Pomarine-Skua.jpg
    Adult-Pomarine-Skua.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Pom-skua.jpg
    Pom-skua.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 170
Steve G said:
Failed to catch the Sabs but a lot of other interesting (but commoner) stuff about. Scattered rafts of Little gulls, still a few Sandwich Terns.... with a few Arctic Skuas on their tails, Bonxies, Manxies & a few Poms. Poor images enclosed -light fading & birds not close in but include Arctic Skua on a Sandwich Tern, a Bonxie, an adult pale Pom (strong cap, yellowish neck, beer-belly, strong breast-band & spooned tail extension) & another probable Pom. All seen over an hour on monday evening @ Kinghorn (Fife).

Nice pictures Steve. You failed to mention that you spotted me that afternoon. I was out with Ken Shaw at the other end of the car park.
Nice to put a name to face to the name. Catch you some other time.

Ah, so that was you Jeremy. Forgive my ignorance for not introducing myself.
The next time you'll need to give me a wee tutorial on the finer points of seawatching as I stood staring at a small group of Skuas for ages before it clicked that two of them were Poms -nearly missed them.
Sadly I have come late to birding & lack the apprenticeship that many have gone through so I tend to miss things that others may pick up. ;)
Cheers,
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back