• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Brunton scam (1 Viewer)

Otto McDiesel

I have examined carefully several 8x and 8.5 binoculars. These were
Zeiss 8x42 FL, Brunton Epoch 8.5x43, Leica Ultravid 8x42, Swift Audubon HHS 8.5x44, Busnell Elite 8x43 (the new split bridge), and Leupold Golden Ring 8x42. The test/examination was very informal: i had these binoculars on a table outdoors, by the side of a lake and a parking lot, and behind the lake was a patch of forest. I took more than 2 hours examining colors, brightness, details, resolution, handling, reading distant parking lot signs and looking at ducks and yellow rumped warblers. I was seated and i had my elbows rested on the table while viewing.

The Zeiss 8x42 FL was by far the best of the bunch. It made me question myself for owning and using 10x.
The second was Leica. This was the leather covered version, and it was a joy to use, though not quite as nice optically as te Zeiss.
Swift Audubon HHS came third. .
The Leupold was next. Their oversized eyecups are a pain to use. Do not fall in deep water with these around your neck.
Bushnell, and the Brunton were almost identical optically and were the worst (less brightness, contrast, sharpness).

Now, considering that Brunton sells their 8.5 Epochs for $1500, it makes me ask: $1500 for all that garbage? Rather than silvery accents and fancy shpancy buttons, why don't they sell some real lenses instead? Hello?! the $350 Swift is one mile better than the Brunton junk.

Otto McDiesel said:
Bushnell, and the Brunton were almost identical optically and were the worst (less brightness, contrast, sharpness).

Now, considering that Brunton sells their 8.5 Epochs for $1500, it makes me ask: $1500 for all that garbage? Rather than silvery accents and fancy shpancy buttons, why don't they sell some real lenses instead? Hello?! the $350 Swift is one mile better than the Brunton junk.

Otto, there are those that disagree with you, quote from "BetterViewDesired" :
"Leupold and Stevens, again, known mainly for their hunting optics, primarily rife scopes, has made, over the past 15 years, several attempts to penetrate the birding market, with, so far, limited success (not due to a lack of quality in their products, by the way). Their effort should be a lesson to others thinking they easily or quickly might grab a share of what is, without doubt, the fastest growing optics market on the planet.

The latest contender is Brunton, a company known primarily for surveying equipment and high end compasses. They are now in (if memory serves me right) their sixth or seventh year of trying to figure out how to capture the interests (and the $$s) of birders. They are, in my opinion, going about it the right way. They have established a regular presence at birding conventions and conferences, often sponsoring field trips and events, and handing out samples of their Eterna line of binoculars for birders to try. More than that, they have been listening to birders in the field, talking with those who review optics for publication (here at BVD and elsewhere), tour guides and other high profile birders, and have now put what they have learned into practice in the design of their new Epoch binoculars."

Jaeger

PS- I do agree with you on the Leupold eyecups and to some extent on the other statements. Also, have you read the 10/05 review of the Swift HHS's on BetterViewDesired, they agree with you on those.

Last edited:
Jaeger01 said:
Otto, there are those that disagree with you, quote from "BetterViewDesired" :
"Leupold and Stevens, again, known mainly for their hunting optics, primarily rife scopes, has made, over the past 15 years, several attempts to penetrate the birding market, with, so far, limited success (not due to a lack of quality in their products, by the way). Their effort should be a lesson to others thinking they easily or quickly might grab a share of what is, without doubt, the fastest growing optics market on the planet.

The latest contender is Brunton, a company known primarily for surveying equipment and high end compasses. They are now in (if memory serves me right) their sixth or seventh year of trying to figure out how to capture the interests (and the $$s) of birders. They are, in my opinion, going about it the right way. They have established a regular presence at birding conventions and conferences, often sponsoring field trips and events, and handing out samples of their Eterna line of binoculars for birders to try. More than that, they have been listening to birders in the field, talking with those who review optics for publication (here at BVD and elsewhere), tour guides and other high profile birders, and have now put what they have learned into practice in the design of their new Epoch binoculars."

Jaeger

PS- I do agree with you on the Leupold eyecups and to some extent on the other statements. Also, have you read the 10/05 review of the Swift HHS's on BetterViewDesired, they agree with you on those.

The Epochs are $400 binoculars, at the most, judging by their optics. They are not worth $1500!!!

I have tried a handful of the Bruntons and came to the same conclussion as Otto. At first I thought the original bino that I tested was a poor example. After trying a half a dozen, I have come to the conclusion that they are priced about double what they should be. Now to really throw you a curve here. I have done some fairly extensive viewing through a number of Elites and Gold Rings. I found the Elites to be far superior to the GRs. Both were significant improvements over the Bruntons.

ranburr

Jaeger01 said:

If I read this citation correctly, it only says that Brunton are on the right track quality wise and marketing wise. But it does not say that you get a product that is worth its money!
And looking at the rest of the citation, it even becomes obvious that this can't be an independent statement, but rather one from someone who might (but does not have to) be brainwashed by whatever those "talks" with the reviewers may have included.
So the BVD text does not really say anything that contradicts the scam statement in the sense it had been used here.

ranburr said:
I found the Elites to be far superior to the GRs. Both were significant improvements over the Bruntons.

ranburr

Did you compare 8x or 10x, or both? How would you compare the Elites and the Kahles?

ranburr said:
Now to really throw you a curve here. ranburr

Ranburr, could you give a non native English speaker some insight what this means. Even my trusted LEO (www.leo.org) has not been of any help here. Thanks.

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
Ranburr, could you give a non native English speaker some insight what this means. Even my trusted LEO (www.leo.ogr) has not been of any help here. Thanks.

Forgive my intrusion. Ranburr, please feel free to override me.

Robert, the phrase means, " to introduce confusion or an apparent contradiction", in my simple terms. I'm pretty sure it comes from the American sport "baseball", wherein the pitched ball's trajectory is intentionally curved and is usually difficult for the batter to hit.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
SteveF said:
Forgive my intrusion. Ranburr, please feel free to override me.

Robert, the phrase means, " to introduce confusion or an apparent contradiction", in my simple terms. I'm pretty sure it comes from the American sport "baseball", wherein the pitched ball's trajectory is intentionally curved and is usually difficult for the batter to hit.

Hope this helps.

Sure has! Great, and thanks so much!

Edit 19 Oct:

I hope you don't mind that I have entered the phrase with your explanation and my attempted translation in the forum of the above mentioned leo.org.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back