• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Banding in Washington (1 Viewer)

Progne Subis

Bird is the word...
I Went bird banding this morning with a small group from Seattle Audubon In Greg Davis Park in west Seattle. Today we didn't capture a large number of birds, 7 total, 2 Golden-crowned Sparrows, 2 Oregon Juncos(one photographed), 2 Bushtits(one photographed), and a Bewick's Wren, but it was fun. And of course I took pictures! So, enjoy.

Attachments

• bewicks wren1.jpg
    bewicks wren1.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 163
  • bewick's wren 2.jpg
    bewick's wren 2.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Bushtit.jpg
    Bushtit.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 829
  • gc sparrow1.jpg
    gc sparrow1.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 146
  • gc sparrow 2.jpg
    gc sparrow 2.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 155
Tayler, I enjoyed your post and photos.

Are you planning to go observe some more bird banding and see what else is banded? Or was this a one time activity?

Well Larry, glad you asked! I'm actually a member of a part of the Seattle Audubon Society called BirdWatch. In BirdWatch other people my age get the oppertunity to either take a training course during the summer to become a qualified bander, or accompany other people on a banding trip to take pictures, which I did on Saturday. Also this isn't the only time I've been bird banding. A month earlier I went banding for the first time in the same park I took the photos above. Early in the morning that day, we had four nets up and managed to catch nearly thirty birds. We caught many Chickadees, Bushtits, Song Sparrows, a few Juncos, a Bewick's Wren, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, and two Orange-crowned Warblers. I didn't mention this earlier because I had no photos, but now since you know, I'll keep you guyes up to date on the banding trips I go on!

Last edited:
OK, Tayler, it is really interesting to get to see the birds close up and personal, isn't it! We have gotten some birds this fall season which we have not banded previously, Henslow's Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow, Marsh Wren, Winter Wren, to name a few.

The weather here is getting a little to cold for much more banding, the mist nets tend to "freeze up" during the nights and it takes a little time for them to thaw in the mornings. We may get a few more days banding in though.

Keep us informed of what is going on out in Washington.

Larry Lade said:
The weather here is getting a little to cold for much more banding, the mist nets tend to "freeze up" during the nights and it takes a little time for them to thaw in the mornings. We may get a few more days banding in though.
Hi Larry,

How cold is it there now ? Scotland just had a record for late October yesterday - 22.4 Centigrade !

Do you mean your nets are freezing up after you have put them up in the morning, or do you mean you leave them up all the time and furled ?

Mike.

Mike we are going to band this morning. I am just now getting ready to leave home and go over the college campus where we band.

We have been leaving the four mist nets we use furled and tied up at intervals. The moisture in the air has been condensing on the nets and binding them with the resultant frost. It takes a little care and time to get them thawed out of a morning. It probably will not be able to band too much longer.

Our temperatures have been in the upper 30's F (Off hand, I don't know what that converts to in C.) during the nights and warming to upper 50's F during the day.

Must go band! Talk to you later.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back