• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungi id please (1 Viewer)

Sonia

Trolling through old beechwoods today, I came upon several different fungi. Here are photos of two of them, (camera shake did for the others - didn't take my tripod)

I think the first two photos are of Laccaria amethystina (mainly because they were the only lilac fungi in my book), but also because the gills were the same colour as the cap and there were loads in the beechwoods. (BTW what does "decurrent tooth" mean when referring to gills?)

The other two photos are of a fungi that I don't really have any idea of, although looking through my book, I can see some similarities to Clitocybe (decurrent gills and a distinct umbo). Size-wise, these were quite large fungi, although there were some smaller ones about too.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Sonia

Attachments

• DSCN1203.JPG
    DSCN1203.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN1204.JPG
    DSCN1204.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN1212.JPG
    DSCN1212.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN1213.JPG
    DSCN1213.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 174
Hi Sonia, from Colin in Hungary !

I agree with your first two - common name is Amethyst Deceiver.

As for the others, I think you're on the right track with Clitocybe, but it is only "think".

Your photos do look a bit like C. geotrupa (as depicted in "Mushrooms and Toadstools of Britain and NW Europe" by Marcel Bon) but, not being a "real" fungi expert, my answer should not be taken as final. You might only get to genus without expert help.

The book also shows various diagrams of gill insertion (how the gills join to the stem), and "decurrent" is one of them. The book doesn't expand upon what the term means, but, looking at the diagrams, "decurrent" gill insertion means that the bottom part of the gills "flow" onto the stem (as in your photo !).

Hope this has helped a little !

Best wishes,

Colin.

And by the way,

Hi Colin in Hungary!

Thanks for the confirmation on the Amethyst Deceiver. I was sort of wondering about the geotrupa for the clitocybe, mainly because of the size of the fungi - ah well, I'll just wait and see if there are any other suggestions.

Thanks for your info on "decurrent". My description of the Amethyst D speaks of the gills being "adnate with decurrent tooth" and I guess that means that whilst the gill profile is adnate there are some (perhaps "the teeth") that attach to the stem decurrently - or perhaps my interpretation is just a load of rubbish!

Many thanks
Sonia

Sonia said:
Thanks for your info on "decurrent". My description of the Amethyst D speaks of the gills being "adnate with decurrent tooth" and I guess that means that whilst the gill profile is adnate there are some (perhaps "the teeth") that attach to the stem decurrently - or perhaps my interpretation is just a load of rubbish!

Many thanks
Sonia

Yes, basically "adnate with decurrent tooth" means that the gills curve up to join the stem but then, very close to the stem, the margin turns down again.

I agree with the IDs: Laccaria amethystina and Clitocybe geotropa.
The deep amethyst colour of L. amethystina is almost diagnostic, but there a few others that are that colour, including the deep violet variant of Inocybe geophylla, var. violacea, that not only can resemble Laccaria amethystina closely, but can even grow with it.

Alan

Thanks Alan

I've just checked out some photos of the Inocybe geophylla on the net- although the variants I saw were "lilacina" but the colour seemed very similar to the Laccaria amethystina. I'm sure the fungi I saw were Laccaria amethystina as I can't recall any central boss on the cap, as appears to be the case with the Inocybe geophylla
Many thanks
Sonia

Sonia said:
Thanks Alan

I've just checked out some photos of the Inocybe geophylla on the net- although the variants I saw were "lilacina" but the colour seemed very similar to the Laccaria amethystina. I'm sure the fungi I saw were Laccaria amethystina as I can't recall any central boss on the cap, as appears to be the case with the Inocybe geophylla
Many thanks
Sonia

Hi Sonia

Just to clarify, Inocybe geophylla var. lilacina is lilac, with white flesh. It is common and can indeed be confused with faded Laccaria amethystina. Eventually the gills become brown with the spores.
Inocybe geophylla var. violacea is much rarer and is a really deep amethyst colour when fresh, with flesh the same colour. It can be very similar indeed to fresh Laccaria amethystina.

A spore print will resolve any doubts. Put a cap down on white paper and leave it for a few hours for the spores to drop.. Laccaria is officially "white" spored (though actually very faintly pinkish-lilac in mass, if my memory is correct). Inocybe has brown spores.
And if the spores are rust-brown, it is most likely a Cortinarius - which is when problems really start!

Alan

Alan

Ok! I've decided that what I saw were Laccaria amethystina! - and the next ones I see, I'll do spore prints on to check.

I searched for web pictures of the variant violacea but with no luck, but will keep on trying.
Thanks for your help.
Sonia

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back