• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good spot at my local patch. (1 Viewer)

senatore

Popped down to my local patch yesterday morning ( Marsh lane in Warwickshire) mainly because it was a nice bright morning.

Saw the resident Stonechat from the first hide which was a nice start but it was not tilll I got down to the second hide that I got a really good spot.I quickly scanned the scrape and saw nothing of great interest so I checked out the area of partly flooded reeded and grassed area to the side of the hide and quickly spotted a partly hidden Snipe about 10 metres away.

It was resting and not moving but I was encouraged because I could see that there was a dark stripe along the centre of it's crown.Was it a Jack Snipe?One had been reported sometime ago.

I had to wait 30 minutes before it moved and then it showed it's smaller beak and obligingly started to bob up and down as it began to feed.Yes a Jack Snipe and in the open and pretty close.WOW !!!! I had seen one before at Titchwell from the Parradine hide but it was a long way away and it was other birders who identified it as a Jack Snipe.This one was mine.

Has anyone else seen one as close as this?

Max.

senatore said:
Popped down to my local patch yesterday morning ( Marsh lane in Warwickshire) mainly because it was a nice bright morning.

Saw the resident Stonechat from the first hide which was a nice start but it was not tilll I got down to the second hide that I got a really good spot.I quickly scanned the scrape and saw nothing of great interest so I checked out the area of partly flooded reeded and grassed area to the side of the hide and quickly spotted a partly hidden Snipe about 10 metres away.

It was resting and not moving but I was encouraged because I could see that there was a dark stripe along the centre of it's crown.Was it a Jack Snipe?One had been reported sometime ago.

I had to wait 30 minutes before it moved and then it showed it's smaller beak and obligingly started to bob up and down as it began to feed.Yes a Jack Snipe and in the open and pretty close.WOW !!!! I had seen one before at Titchwell from the Parradine hide but it was a long way away and it was other birders who identified it as a Jack Snipe.This one was mine.

Has anyone else seen one as close as this?

Max.

When I was a kid Jack Snipe weren't all that uncommon. I'd regularly find them each year in favoured spots on local farmland. There was one field that had a natural spring surfacing in the middle of it, when the weather was frosty Snipe would flock to it - often including Jacks. They're more reluctant to rise than Common Snipe, one almost has to tread on them. They rarely fly far when disturbed.

saluki

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back