• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Piccolo ED 60mm (1 Viewer)

symphony

Opticron Piccolo ED 60mm info please???

Hello folks.

I have a Piccolo by Opticron I really like it and it's my first scope as a relative beginner. Both the case and scope are marked ED. The image does appear bright for a 60mm compared with a few other scopes I've tried so it may be an ED (posh coatings etc) scope as the markings suggest. Or is the ED just a model and not a high spec feature?I have a 22x lens on it which is a good all round magnification for me.

Do any of you have one of these and what can you tell me about it? Do you rate it? Have you used it for digiscoping? Maybe you have something similar. I think there are/were 50mm and 80mm versions.

I welcome any comments on the scope as its a bit of a mystery to me and I can't find out anything about it including user reviews, price etc. They don't appear to be produced anymore.????????????????????

Last edited:
symphony said:
Hello folks.

I have a Piccolo by Opticron I really like it and it's my first scope as a relative beginner. Both the case and scope are marked ED. The image does appear bright for a 60mm compared with a few other scopes I've tried so it may be an ED (posh coatings etc) scope as the markings suggest. Or is the ED just a model and not a high spec feature?I have a 22x lens on it which is a good all round magnification for me.

Do any of you have one of these and what can you tell me about it? Do you rate it? Have you used it for digiscoping? Maybe you have something similar. I think there are/were 50mm and 80mm versions.

I welcome any comments on the scope as its a bit of a mystery to me and I can't find out anything about it including user reviews, price etc. They don't appear to be produced anymore.????????????????????

Hi Symphony is your scope Cream in body colour with a barrel type focusing ring.

If so then yes it is ED glass, I sold one not too long ago which belonged to the wife. It was her first scope, and she liked it for it's compact size and weight. At the time I had an Opticron HR 66, which while giving you a better field of view was not a patch on the Picolo for brightness and sharpness.

I don't think Opticron have made them for some time, ours was bought around 1997.

If you like it and it does the job stick with it. If I remember correctly we paid about £300 originally for ours and sold it for £90 about six months ago.

Hope this is of help

Pete

The attached picture was taken using an Opticron Piccolo non-ED scope, by hand-holding a Nikon Coolpix 4500 to the 22x eyepiece. You can see the colour fringing produced by the non-ED glass. The scope was bought in 1988, and only recently replaced by a Zeiss Diascope.

Attachments

• wcs8.jpg
    wcs8.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 418
Hello Pete and Trapicheman thanks for your replies really interesting.

Yes Pete it is cream with the barrel for focussing. Thanks for confirming it's an ED. I thought it may be. As you say the images are bright and sharp. It's light and compact and not a great deal to carry around. Sometimes I leave the tripod at home and hand hold the scope or lean it on trees and walls.

It's good to be able to get good glass for less than a hundred pounds. I'm a firm believer in secondhand, I don't like to pay ridiculous prices in the shops!

Thanks for the picture Trapicheman. Now I know exactly what colour fringing is. It's still a nice photo especially seeing as you hand held the camera to your scope. That's just what I intend doing before spending money on a camera adaptor though there has been talk on Birdforum of an adaptor which is 30 pounds new. My rucsac is already heavy though, I don't like the prospect of carrying even more kit!

Trapicheman what species is the bird in the picture by the way? I'm quite new to birding though I can safely say we do not get this particular species around here!

symphony said:
Trapicheman what species is the bird in the picture by the way? I'm quite new to birding though I can safely say we do not get this particular species around here!

It's a Woodchat Shrike. Quite common here in summer, and especially on passage.

If you are thinking of digiscoping I have an Eagle Eye L5 adapter for sale - it fits many Opticron eyepieces I think (you'll need to check the Eagle Eye website to check.

PM me if interested.

More Piccolo info needed

My next question is can I get hold of a securing ring that secures the case by screwing around the eyepiece? Are these universal and easily obtainable? The case forever rides along the scope and I get frustrated having to keep adjusting it.

Also can I easily get hold of a protective 'outer' lens and housing as both are damaged by a previous owner? The actual objective lens is fine but needs a protective lens.

I also need a screw on protective cover for the eye lens as again it's missing. Are these obtainable?

Does anyone have these items spare and for sale?

So many questions! ;-)

symphony said:
My next question is can I get hold of a securing ring that secures the case by screwing around the eyepiece? Are these universal and easily obtainable? The case forever rides along the scope and I get frustrated having to keep adjusting it.

Also can I easily get hold of a protective 'outer' lens and housing as both are damaged by a previous owner? The actual objective lens is fine but needs a protective lens.

I also need a screw on protective cover for the eye lens as again it's missing. Are these obtainable?

Does anyone have these items spare and for sale?

So many questions! ;-)

Hi Symphony
Not sure what you mean by your first Q but if I am reading correctly try a rubber band between eyepiece and focusing barrel.

Outer lens - try a UV filter from a good photo shop

Eyepiece - I will have a look in my draw where I chuck all these types of things may get lucky.

Pete

pete schofield said:
Hi Symphony
Not sure what you mean by your first Q but if I am reading correctly try a rubber band between eyepiece and focusing barrel.

Outer lens - try a UV filter from a good photo shop

Eyepiece - I will have a look in my draw where I chuck all these types of things may get lucky.

Pete
Thanks for the reply Pete. What I meant by the first question was I assumed there may come as standard a threaded ring to hold the case secure. Reason being there are 2 sets of threads- one on the actual eyepiece and another below built into the body of the scope below where the eyepiece screws in. I don't imagine the protective eyepiece to screw into both of these. It seems to me a good way of securing the case would be to have a ring on the eyepiece end.

I'm going to take up your suggestion for a UV filter from a camera shop though I was quoted 20 quid which seems steep to me.

I've used some rubber ties for the time being to secure the case but they don't do a very good job and I'm forever having to pull the case back into place.

If I could get an eyepiece protector that would be good too.

I'm enjoying using the scope and it's really useful. It opens up another world but I just need to get used to aiming it. I could just use an helium baloon to lighten the load a little on those long days out birding! When I'm a millionaire I'll buy a carbon tripod!

Hi Symphony you are correct the second thread on the body was for a eyepiece cap which came as original equpt. Had a root around and all I could find was the objective lens cap.

Which stay on cover do you have? The one we had which came from Opticron had a zip up the body which when undone allowed the scope to be inserted eyepice end first until the whole scope was in then do up the zip. It had the cutout mid body so you could use the focusing barrel with end covers. Did not have any problems with slippage. Sorry but it went with the scope.

You could try ringing Opticron, they used to be in Luton see if they have any knocking about.

Pete

Hiya Pete

Sounds as though I have the same case you had but slippage is really bad and there must be a means of securing it which is missing. The case has a sawn on 'Opticron ED' badge. Well at least it's not a major problem, just a bit frustrating that's all and the scope is covered and protected. It's still a damn fine scope for the money.

Thanks for hunting for a lens cover Pete.

symphony said:
Hiya Pete

Sounds as though I have the same case you had but slippage is really bad and there must be a means of securing it which is missing. The case has a sawn on 'Opticron ED' badge. Well at least it's not a major problem, just a bit frustrating that's all and the scope is covered and protected. It's still a damn fine scope for the money.

Thanks for hunting for a lens cover Pete.

Hi Symphony

Her indoors has just reminded me (it was her scope) that she had the same problem. The case slid from the objective end towards the eyepiece end.

And apparently what I did was wrap some double sided sticky tape around the front barrel, which held everything in place from then on.

Cheap and cheerful but worked, hope this helps.

Pete

The case slid from the objective end towards the eyepiece end.

And apparently what I did was wrap some double sided sticky tape around the front barrel, which held everything in place from then on.

Thanks for that I might just try that Pete. I could get hold of some weatherproof double-sided. In the meantime has anyone else any ideas for securuing the case?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back