• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Injured bird (1 Viewer)

geoshar18

This little fellow I think hit my patio door this morning. He has been sitting on the lawn in a bit of a daze most of the afternoon..I can get real close.
If I put my hand out, he does fly away but crash lands.
He does hop on one foot, so the injury is likely his leg.
What if anything can I do?

(What is this bird ?Looks too small and round for a cowbird.)

Attachments

• apr 18 cowbird.jpg
    apr 18 cowbird.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 275
It's always difficult to decide what to do for the best with an injured bird. If I were you and I could catch it I would take it in, place it in a decent sized box with shredded newspaper, air holes, food and water and let it rest. Did this recently with a blackbird and it worked. If you don't do anything chances are it will die to a predator so it's worth a go.

Annie

That was my concern as well!
Thanks for your post..we will try that.
(Poor little thing..we don't have too many predators in the area, due to a lot of big dogs living close to us, but it looked so vulnerable!)

Is it a Brown Headed Cowbird?

There is not much you can do but give it time. If it still has the will to live, it will certainly have a go. If it's injury is too severe, well I suppose.......

Best of luck little fella!

Last edited:
My goodness, we have had so many cowbirds, but this one didn't look like the rest???
We could not catch it..his flying abilities are quite good! (He just has a problem landing!)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back