• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat Identification (1 Viewer)

godrevy

On a recent visit to Bowling Green Marsh in Devon, my friend and I noticed what appeared to be a small bird flying low over the water being closely pursued by a magpie. On closer inspection, this turned out to be a bat.This occurred at approximately 4pm when it was still daylight, although the weather was overcast . The bat escaped and, soon after, was seen hunting in the same vicinity, still over water. I haven't a great deal of knowledge about bats, although we do have a couple that visit the garden during the summer months. usually at dusk. I understand there is a daubentons bat that hunts over water. Could this have been what we saw? It seems quite late in the season for this to be still hunting i.e. early November! Over to you experts out there!

I'm no expert but would say that it probably was a Daubentons.

Neil and I once saw two hunting over water in bright sunshine at 4.30pm in the afternoon at the end of July in the Lake District. I had to look twice as I never expected to see a bat, never mind two of them, hunting at that time of day and in full sun!

As to it being this late in the year....I had a Pipistrelle last week flying around the back of our cottage - perhaps it's just because the weather has been a bit milder than normal. I'm sure they'll soon head back into hibernation when the weather DOES decide to chil down!

Gill

bat identification

Thanks Gill. It made our day to see it hunting in daylight but, as you say, now the weather has turned colder, it is probably safely tucked up for the winter. I bet the magpie was a tad confused!!!

Could also have been a greater horseshoe. they will sometimes hunt over water during the daylight, and it has been mild, as you say.

Gus

Or a pipistrelle - they can also hunt over water and appear in the daytime, and are very common.

James

bat identification

Thanks, everybody! Now I am confused.....I'll try and take more notice of size etc. if it ever happens again.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back