• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wallcreeper (1 Viewer)

cassowary

Hello All,

Has anyone seen the wallcreeper at les beaux/les alpilles area this year or pont du guard. (Maybe a bit early - january and febuary are better months I know) but am visiting camargue in a week. wallcreeper is a bogey bird for me

cassowary said:
Hello All,

Has anyone seen the wallcreeper at les beaux/les alpilles area this year or pont du guard. (Maybe a bit early - january and febuary are better months I know) but am visiting camargue in a week. wallcreeper is a bogey bird for me

FWIW winter is very early with 1m + of snow in the Alps and a huge dump again today. Everything is white and the Austrians closed the Villach - Salzburg highway twice this week which is very unusual. You might be lucky. Fingers crossed.

Wallcreepers are reasonably commom at Les Beau. The easiest way to see them is to look out from the town and scan the cliffs and spot them from there. Then pin point where they are and drive round to get better views. Never failed there. Loads of other stuff there Blue Rock thrush, Alpine ac, Black Redstart, Bonelli's Eagle and Crag Martin.

Woodchatshrike said:
Wallcreepers are reasonably commom at Les Beau. The easiest way to see them is to look out from the town and scan the cliffs and spot them from there. Then pin point where they are and drive round to get better views. Never failed there. Loads of other stuff there Blue Rock thrush, Alpine ac, Black Redstart, Bonelli's Eagle and Crag Martin.

Agree with Jem on this but two Winters ago we had to walk around the back of the rock with the castle built on and scan that rock face before finding one. We could not see it from the town or the road below where you drive up.

cassowary said:
Hello All,

Not France but.... www.israbirding.com/ Has Wallcreeper.

Click on December Part 2.

John

I will be visiting Les Baux de Provence in late February so would be interested to hear whether anyone has seen Wallcreeper there this winter? Would also welcome any up to date locations in the area for Bonelli's Eagle, Little Bustard and Pin-tailed Sandgrouse.

There is apparently just one bird wintering there this winter - see John Wright's blog (Wright's Wanderings) for details and an amazing flight shot of the bird.

Steve

Unfortunately, I've been reminded that I'm working this weekend so can't go for the Wallcreeper if it's still around. I'd point out, though, that Boulogne is a damn sight nearer to Kent than any of the other localities mentioned!

John

Just back from southern France guiding a trip for Shetland Wildlife (www.shetlandwildlife.co.uk)

At least one Wallcreeper still present at Les Baux de Provence on 18 & 22 Feb - along with Rock Bunting, several Alpine Accentors, Blue Rock Thrush and Crag Martins. Bonelli's Eagle, Eagle Owl and Citril Finch nearby. Camargue highlights included Spotted, Bonelli's and Booted Eagles, 10 Glossy Ibis, Bluethroats, lots of Penduline Tits, 150+ Cranes, Purple Gallinule and 4 Bewick's Swans. In the La Crau region, Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, Richard's Pipits, 20+ Calandras and Little Bustards. Green Heron still giving great views at Berre L'Etang and at Mt Ventoux, superb views of Black Woodpecker (and another heard) but very few (only 6) Citril Finches.

Cheers

HH

Hugh I'm going to southern France on Friday for a long weekend so have sent you a PM about some of the species you saw.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back