• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good Day at the Shore (1 Viewer)

Dianne

Hi All,
A lifer for me today!!! A Clapper Rail. I have wanted to see a Rail for the longest time, and today I saw not only one, but FIVE!!! I was so excited.... :D

Also saw: Common Tern, Black Bellied Plover, Sanderlings, Sandpipers, Yellowlegs, Killdeer, Greater Black Backed Gull, Herring Gull, Yellow Warbler, Tree & Barn Swallows, Willets, Mute Swans, Great Blue Herons, Snowy Egrets, Great Egrets...

A good day!

Well done Dianne :t:
Only problem is, now you have to long for another bird and it starts all over again! ;)

paj

The Sound

Hi Diane, I was on the other side of the sound today, at Hammonassett State Park in Madison, Connecticut. Was that you I saw with my scope, out there? Seriously, had a Little Blue Heron and Laughing Gulls and a Northern Harrier and many more. Lifers are so great. Keep it up.:t:

Good day of shorebirding, Diane!

I am in Upstate New York, at the Canadian border and the eastern end of (Great) Lake Erie, so we see many of the same birds even though I am more inland.

Do you have a copy of "Bull's Birds of New York State"? Very good breeding atlas I have found to be very useful. I have the 1998 edition and there will be a newer edition in 2-3 years.

My latest trip to Lake Erie for shorebirding, last week, I saw many immature Caspian Terns, a few Bonaparte Gulls, several Killdeer, and Ruddy Turnstone, Semipalmated Plover, American Golden Plover, Spotted Sandpipers, Great-Blue Herons, Double-Crested Cormorants, one Pied-Billed Grebe, American Wigeon, American Coot, and increasing numbers of Mallards and Canada Geese.

Gail R (WNY)

Gail,
No, I don't have a copy of that book, but will look into it. Sounds interesting.

I am always looking for places to go birding for a weekend, or even for one long day. Any recommendations on places along Lake Erie, or in your general vicinity. I don't know the area at all.

Thanks....

Diane, do a search at www.Amazon.com for the book "Bull's Birds of New York State" 1998 edition .. and you will be able to read excerpts and reviews and order it if you choose to. The next edition of "Bull's.." will not be out for 2-3 years yet.

Birding in my area?
I am about 30 miles south of Buffalo, NY, so that is a lengthy drive from Long Island.

The areas most known for birding in this general area, bordering Lake Erie at the Canadian border...

Niagara River, Niagara Falls area in Ontario Canada is very well known for Gulls, Raptors, Shorebirds. Very busy place during migration times. To cross over the Peace Bridge into Canada requires 2 pieces of ID, one a birth certificate with raised stamp and one a photo ID.

In Buffalo, NY, is the Tifft Farm Nature Preserve, right on Lake Erie.

Along Route 5 (The Seaway Trail) between Buffalo and the PA State Line, you would go right by Dunkirk Harbor & Pier and Point Gratiot Park which are good birding spots. After Dunkirk comes Lake Erie Sate Park, and Barcelona Harbor & Pier.

The southern end of Chautauqua Lake is a very good spot for birding and duckwatching. There's also the 'Rails To Trails' program if you like hiking. The Chautauqua area could take weeks to fully experience .. there is the Chautauqua Institute and Chautauqua Lake itself; another NY State Park, there is about 30 miles of coastline on the west side and 40 miles on its east side with all sorts of harbors and ports and airfields along the way.

There is also the Fingerlakes area in Central New York State that is great for birding and Fall foliage. At the northern end of the Lakes is the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge (Ithaca, NY, is at the bottom of the lake and MWR is at the top) that has driving tours and walking touirs. Do a search online for Montezuma Wildlife Refuge and you can see for yourself.

For information about Chautauqua area, go here...
http://www.tourchautauqua.com

Especially for Spring Migration, you might want to consider Presque Isle in Pennsylvania. Do a search for "Presque Isle" and you will see for yourself. You'd really need at least a weekend to see it all.

Gail,
Thanks so much for all that info....I'll be surfing and planning all winter for some long weekend spring trips!! ;)

Thanks again...

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back