• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

65mm Scopes (1 Viewer)

jvhigbee

Keep trying to improve. If you succeed, try again.
Is anybody currently using one of the new 65mm +/- scopes? I am giving thougt to a kowa 664 and would like to know if it could be used successfully for digiscoping. Any thougts from those into digiscoping would be appreciated.

its a given that a quality big scope gathers more light and resolves more detail than the small ones. that said, i choose the leica 62mm apo with 16-48x zoom as my birding scope because of its all day portability and quality view. i do enjoy digiscoping and have posted some photos in the digiscoping gallery that you could check out. its very sunny here in san diego and the 62 does well with fast enough shutter speeds. since you are in washington where it is cloudy the larger scope could be the better choice if digiscoping is to be your main interest. i'm told the difference is usually one shutter speed. hope this helps.

Zeiss and Swarovski

I tried the Swarovski and Zeiss with zoom eyepieces before I bought my Zeiss 65 + 15-45 zoom.

Swarovski... zoom is 20-60x I wish they made a ~15-45x.
Very sharp from centre to edge of field of view.
Did not like the balance of the scope seemed back
heavy to me, i.e. had to tighten tripod head to stop
it falling back.

Zeiss... zoom is 15-45x I wanted the 15x low mag for digiscoping
and much wider field of view compared to the Swarovski.
Very sharp in centre and most of field of view equiv to the
Swarovski, BUT gets soft at the edge. This results is
distorted edges in digiscoped pictures which can look odd.

I choose a 65 scope against a 77/78/80/85 scope for traveling.

I had owned a Kowa TSN-3 and Kowa 611 (bought for traveling) prior to the Zeiss.

This link has a review of the small scopes. The Kowa you mentioned is not included. The author states:

"It would also be justifiable to include in this group Kowa’s TSN 663 ED, which I reviewed in ALULA 4/2001. However, during that test the quality of the eyepieces available for it—especially the zooms—proved to be so disappointing that I decided to omit it this time."

This is a generally held opinion for the the Zoom eyepiece that fits this small scope. It is not the same zoom that fits the 82 mm Kowa scope which is very good.

http://www.alula.fi/GB/index.htm

At the bottom is the link to scope reviews.

Bob D
Iowa City, USA

I have a Swaro 65 (non HD), that I have just started to use for digiscoping. My early attemps have been quite encouraging that decent results can be obtained from a smaller scope. In my case I wanted a light weight scope that was to mainly be used for viewing, and to get some record shots of some of the birds i'd seen. If digiscoping is your prime objective you may wish to consider a bigger scope.

Paul

Paul, I just got a Swarovski 65 HD, for the same reasons, and I don't have a camera yet-- what's your camera-- one of those Nikon Coolpixes that everyone's recommending (CP 990, 995, 4500), or something else? I'm worried about the health of my wallet.

Charles,

I'm afraid I'm also using a CP4500 mainly due to its ability to swivel the LCD, Prices do seem to be falling so it may be worth hanging on for a while.

I'm using a 20-60 zoom lens with the v. expensive Spidertech adaptor, which can be used without removing the rubber on the eye piece, which is essential (in my opinion) for a scope which will mainly be used to look through.

Paul

Bob, I did purchase a 664 Kowa. There are now two 20-60 eyepieces available for this scope. The more expensive one is around $260 street and is the one I have. It's very good. I am still awaiting delivery of the 30mm wide angle that is now available and from the specifications feel it may prove to be also very good. I have looked through a friends Swaro 65 with 30mm eyepiece and feel even with the 20-60 on mine I wouldn't pay the difference in price for the small (to me) difference in view.

I¡¯ve been using the Kowa TSN-664 with a 30x wide-angle lens for digiscoping for the last 6 months. The main reason I went with this scope is that its small size and lightweight makes it much easier for traveling, especially when traveling abroad. One of the downfalls is that it tends to shake more when the camera is attached (I¡¯m using a CP955). To over come this I¡¯ve offset the scope on the tripod by about 1.5¡± (38mm) which improves the balancing. The pictures on my home page were all taken using this set up.

The green buttons below the post has a link to said poster's home page under www. Seems to work OK now for me. :t:

P.S. Those changed avatars are gonna cause confusion.

Last edited:
I use the Swaro 65 HD + zoom and love it. Light weight & excellent optically.

I also use it digiscoping with a CP995 and have been pleased with the results. But there are times when I wish I'd got the 80mm to get the shutter speed up. The 80 would have been too expensive and, to my mind, too heavy.

Alastair, pardon my ignorance-- or laziness, considering the plethora of digiscoping threads available here-- but do you need anything between the Swaro eyepiece and the CP995 lens? Or do they flush up? I remember reading that several of the CP series are suitable-- 990, 995-- but that the 4500 was camera of choice (also the most expensive, as was said before).

jvhigbee said:
Bob, I did purchase a 664 Kowa. There are now two 20-60 eyepieces available for this scope. The more expensive one is around $260 street and is the one I have. It's very good.

Joseph,

Do you know the model numbers of the two 20-60 eyepieces? I am considering getting one of these for traveling and want to be sure I get the right eyepiece. Thanks.

Glen

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back