• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wing-tagged Water Rail? (1 Viewer)

Cuckoo-shrike

I flushed a Water Rail at Windmill Farm N.R. on the Lizard last weekend. I only got the briefest of views as it shot into cover but I was amazed to note a rectangular white bar at the leading edge of the innerwing on each wing.

I can't imagine that this could have been plumage aberration so I'm left with the possibility of white wing-tags. Does anyone know of any relevant scheme?

Aquila said:
I flushed a Water Rail at Windmill Farm N.R. on the Lizard last weekend. I only got the briefest of views as it shot into cover but I was amazed to note a rectangular white bar at the leading edge of the innerwing on each wing.

I can't imagine that this could have been plumage aberration so I'm left with the possibility of white wing-tags. Does anyone know of any relevant scheme?

We're not aware of any wing-tagging scheme for Water Rail registered in Britain and Ireland, or Europe for that matter. It would be an unusual species to fit a wing-tag to.

Best wishes
Dawn Balmer
BTO

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back