• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Philippine Eagle-Owl - First Captive Breeding (1 Viewer)

cuckooroller

Editor's Note: Published on Page A18 of the December 15, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

BACOLOD CITY -- A first in Philippine wildlife conservation efforts has been achieved in Negros Occidental with the birth of “Bubo.”
The Negros Forests and Ecological Foundation Inc. (NFEFI) yesterday announced that it has successfully bred in captivity a threatened and endangered Philippine Eagle Owl.
This is the first time that a Philippine-Eagle Owl, whose scientific name is Bubo philippensis, has been hatched in captivity, said Gerry Ledesma, NFEFI chair.
Nicknamed “Bubo,” the owlet is the offspring of Suplada and Hinahon. He was hatched on Nov. 21.
Ledesma said the owlet’s name was just temporary. He said a contest to name the owlet would be held in January among children visiting the NFEFI zoo along South Capitol Road, in the heart of Bacolod City.
Bubo’s sex is not determined yet until the owlet is fully feathered, he said.
The Philippine Eagle Owl, known as “kuwago” or “bukao,” is endemic to the Philippines and is in the critically endangered list, Ledesma said.
As part of its captive breeding program, NFEFI’s Biodiversity Conservation Center, acquired three female and three male Eagle Owls from the Avilon Zoological Park in Rizal through the Philippine Owls Conservation Program, NFEFI trustee Robert Harland said.
Only two pairs have successfully mated, and had several unfruitful attempts at breeding earlier this year, he said. It was only on Oct. 13 that an egg from Suplada was discovered, which she successfully incubated and hatched on Nov. 21, he said.
“The first week of the owlet’s life was crucial especially as this was the first time the parents have reared a chick,” said Dr. Leo Suarez, BCC curator.
“We are closely monitoring the owlet and we’re delighted to report it seems healthy and growing fast,” he said.
Little is known about the breeding biology of the Philippine Eagle Owl so Suarez said he and his team are collecting as much data as possible to have a better understanding of the species.
“We are thrilled with the arrival of the owlet. We congratulate Dr. Leo Suarez and his team on being the first to breed this threatened species in captivity. Their hard work and patience have paid off,” Ledesma said.
The Philippine Eagle Owl, the largest species of owl in the country, has a small, severely fragmented population that is undergoing a rapid decline as a result of extensive lowland deforestation, he said.
It has lengthened feathers above and behind the eye known as “horns” and “ear tufts.” Its conservation status is that of “vulnerable,” an internationally and nationally protected species whose trade is prohibited, Ledesma said.

Cheers Steve!

great news

do you know its official IUCN status... i could look but it's late here

will be over your way for xmas n new year. never spent one in Italy before so looking forward to it

Ciao
Tim

Hi Tim,

IUCN: VU A2c+3c; C1+2a. With downward trend as everything in Phils.

Italy. Surprisingly mild winter temperature wise, but check that the roads are in good shape. Near Amelia, because of the inordinate amount of precipitation, the hill sides are saturated and some roads are out. Same thing up north I think. Have a good Holiday Season!

Excellent news Steve, this bird's getting increasingly difficult to find in the wild. Could just do with some forest being left if they ever decided to release any of the captive bred birds. A Canadian friend somehow managed to find one roosting during the day on Bohol this year, I didn't hear any calling birds on any of the islands I visited this year. Though Rob heard them at one or two sites in 2003.

Good choice for Chrimbo Tim, the weather here in Derbys is unsurprisingly unmild. See you at oggy next week....Caspians are daily currently.

Tim,

Classified as vulnerable by Birdlife.
They are widespread across the Phils but at low densities, although moderately tolerant of selectively logged forest and often feeding in adjacent areas of agriculture or paddies, they must be under serious threat from habitat destruction.

Never seen one myself - heard at Mt Makiling, RSNP and Baliuag - the one at RSNP was really, really close - swear it was sat on the roof of our hut but couldn't see the bugger!

There are a few captive birds in the Bot. Gardens at Mt Makiling - very impressive birds - could be worth scaling the fences for a night-time visit, sure they must draw-in wild birds, particularly with a lovely river close by for feeding......

Rob

Really good news!!!!

Lets hope it is reared successfully too!!

Tim, Italy is wonderful at New Year....very interesting at Christmas....I'll be interested to hear how you find it!!
(Apart from the romantic bit...of course) My brother lives in Milan so I have sampled Italian Christmas and New Year...(you get to see the New Year in twice...once for England and once for Italy!!)

Have a very Happy Christmas and New Year!! (All on this thread!!)

Not wishing to be controversial but the hatching of a single Phil Eagle Owl in captivity is really not that good from a conservation viewpoint if in 5-10 years time there will be no habitat remaining to release any birds into.
The declaration of protected area status for some lowland forest would be much better news…oh, and its subsequent protection of course!!

Fingers crossed that both can be achieved - a successful breeding program and somewhere for them to live would truely be something to celebrate....

Rob

Rob,
Yes, I am in total agreement with you. The rape of the Philippines continues apace and lip service to the existing laws protecting the environment are just that. The supposed governmental affiliates (DENR) seem to be just as collused as in the rest of the region. Fighting lately against a project "Shangri-La" in Borocay putting into doubt the continued existance of a rare fruit bat. In Indonesia I have heard about the fine idea of clearing highland forest supposedly to put in Oil Palm plantations - that won't do well, but the real intent is the existing hardwood - mostly Chinese money here. So, I take a little heart at the news of the Owl, but only a little, while I steel myself for the inevitable which we both know, unfortunately, is the continuing depredation of what little suitable habitat may remain. We must line the pockets of the local politicians as well as those further up in the Philippine government, mustn't we!!! They should be hanged for my ken. End of diatribe.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back