• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RAW converter conundrum (1 Viewer)

graham catley

I have been using RAW Shooter as a convertion tool for several months and find it is great for optimising pictures which look excellent when they are still int he Raw shooter software--I then convert them to the highest quality JPeg setting with sharpening maintained BUT when I open them again in Photoshop many seem to be darker then they were before conversion and I have to adjust levels again in Photoshop--is this usual or am I doing something wrong?
any advise welcome

Graham Catley

Graham

I have noticed this sort of effect when viewing images in PS and another image viewer. I maybe wrong but what I think what is happening is that PS is using the gamma correction software it installs in the control panel and other viewers don't.

(Just as an aside before I forget - I bumped it to problem with setting the adobe gamma after a Windows update. The problem turned out to be that video card driver got upgraded and the new driver prevented the gamma software tweaking the levels on the video card. I could not find a replacement driver so I ended up using another manufacturer of video card)

Just as an experiment try the following.

Display your image in raw shooter and grap a screen snap of the active window by hitting the Alt + Print Screen keys then import the screen snap via the paste board into a new file. See if the two view are different.

Rob

graham catley said:
I have been using RAW Shooter as a convertion tool for several months and find it is great for optimising pictures which look excellent when they are still int he Raw shooter software--I then convert them to the highest quality JPeg setting with sharpening maintained BUT when I open them again in Photoshop many seem to be darker then they were before conversion and I have to adjust levels again in Photoshop--is this usual or am I doing something wrong?
any advise welcome

Graham Catley

Hi Graham,

This could be the result of using different colour spaces. Try setting your camera, rawshooter and PS to use the same colour space - eg Adobe RGB 1998.

Hope it may help,

Clive

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back