• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there a good migration book. (1 Viewer)

Roger S.

Hello,
Does anybody know of a good book on the migration of British birds.
I find that a lot of field guilds give very basic descriptions and confuse , sometime more then they help, with there brief notes.
I would like to get a book that gives maps as well as a good desciption on the movement of most of the common british birds.

Cheers,
Roger

Will not disagree with Tim the Migration Atlas is great book. I have my copy on loan from the library and i will defend my rights to keep it on loan for ever. It's an expensive book so not one for everyone to buy. One to look out for is Time To Fly by Jim Flegg, it is from the BTO £12.50 and uses a lot of the information fro the atlas to give an overview on migration in british birds. Not as big or as heavy as the Atlas but still a good book.

Roger

I don't know whether or not you're interested but i have a spare copy of this superb book. It's in immaculate, unused condition and you can have it for £30 plus postage.

Graeme.

Graeme, I ordered the book on-line from my Library last night, if I like the book I will get in-touch with you , many thanks.
I have one bird book on lone from the Library Keith that I have renewed it 6 times so far, the trouble is just as you are getting to like having the book for reference then somebody else what it . I shall have a look at Jim cleggs book as well , thanks for the advise.
Thank you to Tim to, for suggesting it in the first place.

Cheers
Roger

Roger S. said:
Graeme, I ordered the book on-line from my Library last night, if I like the book I will get in-touch with you , many thanks.
I have one bird book on lone from the Library Keith that I have renewed it 6 times so far, the trouble is just as you are getting to like having the book for reference then somebody else what it . I shall have a look at Jim cleggs book as well , thanks for the advise.
Thank you to Tim to, for suggesting it in the first place.

Cheers
Roger
I keep rotating which of my kids library tickets I borrow the book on, that way it isn't immediately obvious that someone is keeping the book for long periods of time. In just over a year i have had to give it back once, got it back out again within a month. I suppose I should put it on the list for next Christmas ;)

The Migration Atlas is one of my all time favourite books.
If you are interested in migration another book, although not specifically about British Birds, is Bird Migration by Thomas Alerstam. It has to be one of the most fascinating books ever.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back