PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good migration book.

Roger S.
Saturday 21st January 2006, 18:39
Hello,
Does anybody know of a good book on the migration of British birds.
I find that a lot of field guilds give very basic descriptions and confuse , sometime more then they help, with there brief notes.
I would like to get a book that gives maps as well as a good desciption on the movement of most of the common british birds.

Cheers,
Roger

Edward woodwood
Saturday 21st January 2006, 19:20
The Migration Atlas is just what you are after Roger

an amazing book

Tim

Roger S.
Saturday 21st January 2006, 19:42
Thanks Tim,

Keith Dickinson
Saturday 21st January 2006, 20:20
Will not disagree with Tim the Migration Atlas is great book. I have my copy on loan from the library and i will defend my rights to keep it on loan for ever. It's an expensive book so not one for everyone to buy. One to look out for is Time To Fly by Jim Flegg, it is from the BTO 12.50 and uses a lot of the information fro the atlas to give an overview on migration in british birds. Not as big or as heavy as the Atlas but still a good book.

graeme782
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 16:02
Roger

I don't know whether or not you're interested but i have a spare copy of this superb book. It's in immaculate, unused condition and you can have it for 30 plus postage.

Graeme.

Roger S.
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 18:02
Graeme, I ordered the book on-line from my Library last night, if I like the book I will get in-touch with you , many thanks.
I have one bird book on lone from the Library Keith that I have renewed it 6 times so far, the trouble is just as you are getting to like having the book for reference then somebody else what it . I shall have a look at Jim cleggs book as well , thanks for the advise.
Thank you to Tim to, for suggesting it in the first place.

Cheers
Roger

Roger S.
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 18:09
Ment to say Jim flegg

Keith Dickinson
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 18:28
Graeme, I ordered the book on-line from my Library last night, if I like the book I will get in-touch with you , many thanks.
I have one bird book on lone from the Library Keith that I have renewed it 6 times so far, the trouble is just as you are getting to like having the book for reference then somebody else what it . I shall have a look at Jim cleggs book as well , thanks for the advise.
Thank you to Tim to, for suggesting it in the first place.

Cheers
Roger
I keep rotating which of my kids library tickets I borrow the book on, that way it isn't immediately obvious that someone is keeping the book for long periods of time. In just over a year i have had to give it back once, got it back out again within a month. I suppose I should put it on the list for next Christmas ;)

Julian Bell
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 19:10
The Migration Atlas is one of my all time favourite books.
If you are interested in migration another book, although not specifically about British Birds, is Bird Migration by Thomas Alerstam. It has to be one of the most fascinating books ever.

Roger S.
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 19:12
I always renew my books on the library web site and never have any problems.

Roger