• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nestbox for a Great Spotted Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

Dale5

Hello,

I was thinking of purchasing a nestbox for a GSW, just wondered if anybody has a GSW nestbox in their garden or has had success in them breeding in their garden.
I have a female GSW visiting the garden every day now to feed and I have seen a Male GSW feeding two weeks ago as well.

I have a mature Poplar tree and was thinking of putting the nestbox on there. How high would the nestbox have to be placed?

I have seen the GSW nestboxes for sale in my local Garden Centre.
If the Woodpecker does not nest - then the Starlings will most likely use it.
Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks, :t:

Dale

I think starlings are more likely to use it for nesting [but Starlings are top birds too :) ] Don't recall anyone successfully getting the Great Spots into nestboxes. But, you stand a very good chance of getting the Great Spot Wood using the boxes to roost in. I have several Starling boxes in my garden and on my land and at both places, the woodpeckers roost in the boxes. Never had one to nest though ...but that said, natural decaying trees are plentiful, so ne real need to occupy a nesting box here.

What is interesting, one of the Starling boxes I have is on a pole in open meadow (about 300 metres from the woodland which has lots more boxes) ...and even that gets a roosting woodpecker

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back