• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CS2 tips needed (1 Viewer)

Ashley beolens

Breeding the next generation of birders.
Just moved over to this version of photoshop from 7 and it seems really good (although a bit slow, but then my computer could do with an overhaul to speed it up anyway), but I have some questions that people may be able to answer for me:

1: When cropping, and resizing at the same time, what method of intropolation is used?

2: is it best to sharpen before or after resize?

3: which is best to use to sharpen, smart sharpen or unsharp mask?

Thanks in advance all. :t:

Ashley beolens said:
Generally, my advice on this would be after the resize, because usually you do this sharpening to compensate for the loss of sharpness caused by the resize.

However, on occasion, when I wanted the final, smaller image to be SHARPER than the original, one way to do it is to sharpen both before (to give a subtle sharpening), and then after.

Ashley beolens said:
Just moved over to this version of photoshop from 7 and it seems really good (although a bit slow, but then my computer could do with an overhaul to speed it up anyway), but I have some questions that people may be able to answer for me:

1: When cropping, and resizing at the same time, what method of intropolation is used?

Hi Ashley,

1: I usually crop, then resize and I use bi-cubic interpolation.

2: As mentioned, you can sharpen at original size and then again after re-sizing, if required. I normally shoot RAW and convert using 0 sharpening. I apply all sharpening as my last step after re-sizing. For pics with lots of sky, I sharpen using a layer mask so I can erase the sharpening from the sky.

3: I use Smart Sharpen on original size images and USM on down-sized images. For birds I will normally use a small radius/high amount USM (500, .2, 0). This works well for previously un-sharpened images. If you are sharpening a down-sized jpg that has already had sharpening applied, the "amount" setting should be lowered, dramatically.

Steve

Ashley beolens said:

1. The method used is of your choice to some extent, most of the latest books recommend Bicubic smoother. Personally I very rarely crop and resize at the same time, I crop the image down then use the 110% rule to upsize especially when cropping to quite a small area of the image.

2. Always leave sharpening to the last step, as any editing done after sharpening especially cropping and resizing will result in unwanted artefacts in the image

3. In all previous versions the recommendation would have been Unsharp mask but in CS2 the general recommendation is to use the new smart sharpen function.

I hope this helps.

It is normally best to sharpen as the last process. Smart sharpen is not as severe as usm. You also could sharpen each channel serperately, you can avoid sharpening the noisiest channels. Ernie

Cheers for the advice, been playing more recently and slowly getting the hang of CS2, still a bit slow though.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back