• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare Behaviour or Was It? (1 Viewer)

John151

John
Yesterday I saw a nuthatch. Nothing unusual about that but this one was banging its beak, very hard against a tree trunk rather like a woodpecker only not as fast. Is this normal for a nuthatch? I have seen lots of them but none behaving like that until yesterday.

John151 said:
Yesterday I saw a nuthatch. Nothing unusual about that but this one was banging its beak, very hard against a tree trunk rather like a woodpecker only not as fast. Is this normal for a nuthatch? I have seen lots of them but none behaving like that until yesterday.

Hi John, there would more than likely have been a nut lodged in the bark of the tree and the nuthatch was breaking it open. This is something that they do very regularly as they cannot swallow the nuts whole and do not have the dexterity to hold the nut with one foot whilst breaking in to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back