• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepiece magnification on various fieldscopes? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
It's always tricky when threads get sidetracked; questions may just no longer be seen by the right people. So here is my question again:

Are eyepiece magnifications on the old Nikon 78 the same as for the new 82 model? The reason I ask is that my 30x eyepiece on the EDIII has 38x printed on it for the 78mm model. Would this also be 38x on the 82? And if it is really the same, then what is the reason it is the same there but not on the ED50 and 60?

Swissboy said:
It's always tricky when threads get sidetracked; questions may just no longer be seen by the right people. So here is my question again:

Are eyepiece magnifications on the old Nikon 78 the same as for the new 82 model? The reason I ask is that my 30x eyepiece on the EDIII has 38x printed on it for the 78mm model. Would this also be 38x on the 82? And if it is really the same, then what is the reason it is the same there but not on the ED50 and 60?
Yes they it will be the same for the 78mm and the 82mm. The reason it is different for the other scopes is the simple fact that they are shorter in overall length.

mrabe said:
Yes they it will be the same for the 78mm and the 82mm. The reason it is different for the other scopes is the simple fact that they are shorter in overall length.
That must be so, but I thought the ED78 was longer than the ED82. The magnifications are certainly identical for the ED78 and ED82.

length

The 78mm is 12.9 inches and the 82mm is 12.6 inches very close to the same length. The distance between the internal lens might be the same on the 78 and 82. The ED 3 60mm is 11 inches. These are all measurements without eye piece. :flyaway:

The effective focal length of the objective lens is what determines magnification with a given eyepiece. The physical length of the scope is not useful for determining the exact focal length of an optical system like the Nikon Fieldscope which has a folded light path and a focusing element that influences the effective focal length. The effective focal length of the 78mm and 82mm scopes is about 525mm, the 60mm is 420mm and the 50mm is about 280mm.

Last edited:
henry link said:
The effective focal length of the objective lens is what determines magnification with a given eyepiece. The physical length of the scope is not useful for determining the exact focal length of an optical system like the Nikon Fieldscope which has a folded light path and a focusing element that influences the effective focal length. The effective focal length of the 78mm and 82mm scopes is about 525mm, the 60mm is 420mm and the 50mm is about 280mm.

Thanks Henry, that settles it for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back