• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thick-billed Warbler on Fair Isle!! (1 Viewer)

stunning bird, how scarey would that be to find, its huge!! still I live in hope there will be a mainland record soon.

Hi Ash,
I'd quite happily make do with a Great Reed Warbler here:hasn't been a record since 1979 and even THAT one wasn't twitchable,so it would be as good as a first national record.None at my local reedbed...yet!
Planning to be on Tory for a week this Sep,and this species would be one of my "most wanted",though I realise that the likes of Lancy,Citrine,PG Tips etc would be more likely,despite the former not having been seen in Ireland yet...
Harry

Hi Michael,
Yes,I had a White-crowned Sparrow to go for;no,I didn't find it;yes,I did see it!;-)A brilliant bird!Oddly enough,it was missing all its tail feathers,but showed no other signs of a captive origin(the rest of the plumage was pristine and there was no damage to the feet(and no rings)).Given the time of year and location of the bird I'd assume that it will be acceptable on to Category A of the Irish list in time.
Harry

Congrats Harry!

Wonder if it had a close encounter with a gull on arrival?

Or more prosaically, its tail got stuck in some gunk on board the ship it came over on . . ;)

Michael

Hi Darrell,

No problem if it did - birds are allowed to use ships these days, as long as no-one feeds them deliberately (though why bird tables are permitted on land but banned at sea is beyond me, and I find the idea of the Records Cttees interrogating the crew absurd!)

Michael

Hi Darrell,
Michael's right,ship assistance is no barrier to its acceptance onto Category A(and hence on to our lists!),unless it could be proved that the bird was fed(very strange rule,as I'd imagine that it would be hard to rule this out!).
If he REALLY wanted to stir things up,he could suggest that the tail feathers got jammed in the bars of the cage...
Harry
P.S.Still present and showing well all day(per BINS)

You're right Harry!! As I replied to CJW the other day - one of the best birds I've seen was Lazuli Bunting, but it got rejected as an escape despite the fact that Yellow-throated and Red-eyed Vireo were present at the same time not far away.

Hi Darrell,
In the case of the Lazuli Bunting,I can see how the BOU might have difficulty admitting that to Cat.A,but given that:
a)the species has straggled to the east coast of the US,and could then find itself on a ship bound for Europe
b)other west-coast species such as Varied Thrush have made it on to Cat.A
then I can see how a wild origin would be possible(indeed likely?),especially with those vireos being present at the same time.
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back