• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Romney Marsh - Info please (1 Viewer)

deborah4

Does anyone have any knowledge of Romney Marsh - ie. avian, flora, fauna etc. but particularly whether it is of ornithological interest? I'm not familiar with the area but was concerned to hear of proposals for a wind farm on this site and wondered what might be affected - given that proper marsh habitat is environmentally significant.

I would really appreciate some info on this site in the SE England if anyone has any. I am interested also to know if there are any particular birding locations and places to stay.

Thanks

lark o'dell, Thanks anyway for responding - think I'll have to try and source some info from another site :stuck:

ROMNEY MARSH, SE ENGLAND -

Just found this on Wikipedia by typing in 'Romney Marsh'

Windfarm

A windfarm will be developed at a site called Little Cheyne Court near Camber. It will be built by N-power renewables and cost around £50m. The 26, 116 m (370 ft) towers will be distributed over an area of 4 km² of farmland and will generate around 75% of the district's electricity.

The site has proved controversial locally and nationally with many enironmentalists, nature lovers, a large scale arable farmer, the MP and most (perhaps all) parish, town and county councils viewing the development as a detriment to the environment. The government has now given the permission and work should start in 2006.

Some environmental groups, such as Friends of the Earth, favour large wind farms in spite of potential damage. They have argued that renewable energy such as wind power is essential in the fight against global warming and the consequences of increased droughts, weather turbulence and rising sea levels.

But the opponents of the Romney Marsh development say that the relatively small amount of electricity it will produce - enough to power just over 1,000 homes - is not worth the damage to this well-loved historic sweeping landscape teeming with wildlife. The environmentalist Dr David Bellamy said of the Romney Marsh project: "It is not green. It chops up birds. It destroys landscapes."

I do nearlly all my birding around Dungeness, Kent. The area has impressive wildlife lists with many plants and moths of national interest. The main areas are the Bird Observatory at Dungeness, the RSPB reserve, Scotney Gravel Pit and Walland Marsh.

The observatory is particularly good for passage migrants including scarcities and the sea watching is excellent at the right times.
The RSPB reserve is a very good place for water birds and is currently holding 15 Smew, 4 Goosander and good numbers of Goldeneye. The new visitor centre has superb views over the main pit. ARC pit just across the road held Gull-billed Tern and Baird's Sandpiper last year. Dengemarsh at the rear of the reserve is a good area for raptors.
Scotney Gravel Pit is another good place for a number of water species (Lesser Scaup in 2004/2005) as well as raptors and barn owl.
Walland MArsh is the area where the wind farm is proposed. Right in the area where a flock of 120+ Bewick's Swans winter every year. Last year there was also a large flock of Bean Geese in the same area. The area is also good for Yelowhammer, Tree Sparrow, Corn Bunting and Thrushes.

Hope this answers your question. I can probably give you more information if needed but the whole area is well worth a visit. The best place to visit for more information is the Dungeness RSPB Reserve.

PaulK said:
I do nearlly all my birding around Dungeness, Kent. The area has impressive wildlife lists with many plants and moths of national interest. The main areas are the Bird Observatory at Dungeness, the RSPB reserve, Scotney Gravel Pit and Walland Marsh.

The observatory is particularly good for passage migrants including scarcities and the sea watching is excellent at the right times.
The RSPB reserve is a very good place for water birds and is currently holding 15 Smew, 4 Goosander and good numbers of Goldeneye. The new visitor centre has superb views over the main pit. ARC pit just across the road held Gull-billed Tern and Baird's Sandpiper last year. Dengemarsh at the rear of the reserve is a good area for raptors.
Scotney Gravel Pit is another good place for a number of water species (Lesser Scaup in 2004/2005) as well as raptors and barn owl.
Walland MArsh is the area where the wind farm is proposed. Right in the area where a flock of 120+ Bewick's Swans winter every year. Last year there was also a large flock of Bean Geese in the same area. The area is also good for Yelowhammer, Tree Sparrow, Corn Bunting and Thrushes.

Hope this answers your question. I can probably give you more information if needed but the whole area is well worth a visit. The best place to visit for more information is the Dungeness RSPB Reserve.

Paul, thanks for this:

I think now maybe I'll plan a trip next winter to catch the swans etc. Gives me plenty of time to find B&Bs etc. The more people that support BIRD TOURISM, the more likely areas like will be more highly valued by a broader section of the British public and I intend to do my bit by being a bird tourist at times.

BTW Ive just started a new thread in Views, News etc 'Petition maybe too late for Romney Marsh' after finding all this out - (the RSPB have done their utmost to oppose the windfarm as have many other local groups etc but the Government has approved the application nonetheless.)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back