• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

campsites in north norfolk? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
I am at present planning to spend the whole month of may shacked up in my fathers caravan somewhere in north norfolk,i wonder if any forum members might know of any camping sites near either titchwell,wells or cley.

it would have to be within walking distance to the best birding spots and preferably some local facilities,ie fish and chip shop,pub.

any ideas?

matt

hi, theres a camp site at wells that me and my dad have stopped at before- they do bacon butties in the morning and its walking distance to the sea front which has chippies and a pub which used to serve a great pint of old speckled hen!
http://www.pinewoods.co.uk/camping.html

that link should provide all the info you need for it- theres pretty good birding round the site aswell- turtle dove, little tern in the harbour etc
mat

hi matt, haven't camped up that way for ages now but the one in Stiffkey stands out in my memory as being very ok

Pinewoods in Wells looked okay. We stayed in a self catering pad and checked this place out in case we wanted to come back.

I do!

Stiffkey has the Red Lion for a good piss up nearby

let you into a bit of local gen here...

I have camped with friends just west of Burnham Deepdale (via the bunkhouse barn place there, they gave us the farmer's number)... farmer charged us 50p!. The field is well back from the road and a great sun trap. You can walk down to the pubs, have a beer or two, stumble back and carry on drinking in the summer moonlight until you've had enough with no fear of disturbing anyone.

And in the autumn you can sleep out with the redwings zipping overhead calling all night

top stuff

Tim

Stiffkey over Wells, for me. The Wells site is a bit holiday park-ish and full of small children with bikes and loud voices. Stiffkey is a bit more rough and ready and it's right next to the saltmarsh.

tom mckinney said:
Stiffkey over Wells, for me. The Wells site is a bit holiday park-ish and full of small children with bikes and loud voices. Stiffkey is a bit more rough and ready and it's right next to the saltmarsh.
Totally agree the Wells one is pretty grim, and Wells is, untypically for North Norfolk, naff and tacky. Go for the Stiffkey one, quiet and the wood at the back of the site is well worth checking.

Steve

tom mckinney said:

thats wells off the list :t:

matt

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back