• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jena Jenoptem T3M comapred to new bins (1 Viewer)

pcolbeck

How do teh east German Zeiss Jena Jenoptem T3M coated bins compare to moderm bins in the £100 to £150 area. I know that they don't compare to West German Zeiss products very well but what about against things like Bushnell Legend Porro. I was thinking of the Jenoptem 8x40 or 10x50W
If it's just that the Jena's are heavier that wouldn't bother me if they gave a better image. There again if they are rubbish I would prefer to buy something new.

Thanks

Pat

pcolbeck said:
How do teh east German Zeiss Jena Jenoptem T3M coated bins compare to moderm bins in the £100 to £150 area. I know that they don't compare to West German Zeiss products very well but what about against things like Bushnell Legend Porro. I was thinking of the Jenoptem 8x40 or 10x50W
If it's just that the Jena's are heavier that wouldn't bother me if they gave a better image. There again if they are rubbish I would prefer to buy something new.

Thanks

Pat

Hi Pat

I own a pair of 10 x 50 Zeiss Jenoptem T3M and quite honestly they are one of my favourite binoculars especially for aviation viewing
Heavy (but balanced) and not waterproof eye relief is not great for eyeglass wearers

Good news is a really easy bright and sharp image with very good field of view if you do not wear eyeglasses

Imho not for everyone but definitely better optically than many cheap modern models

Regards
Rich T

Zeiss jena

pcolbeck said:

Thanks

Pat

Hi Pat
If you can get a good pair of Zeiss Jena you will not be disappointed with the image quality. But first you must consider the models and what you want them for really, the 10x50 are quiet large binoculars and depending on your stature could be rather cumbersome if carried for a long time. If you are happy with 8x magnification go for some Jenoptem or Deltrintem. They really do give a very clean bright image. If you do buy a pair, try them out first to see if collimation (prism alignment) is correct. Same goes for all binoculars off course. If you cannot view them (e-bay for example) MAKE sure you ask the seller if the collimation is correct and there are no chips visible in the prisms (easily seen when viewing the wrong way through the bins). If they say anything other than perfect collimation then stay away or you could find yourself paying another £40 to have them re-aligned. Not an expert on modern bins at all really but the old zeiss take some beating.
regards
Matt

pcolbeck said:

Thanks

Pat
The high end CZJ models (Octarem/Nobilem) are excellent glasses optically and mechanically, although heavy, expensive then and now, and somewhat cumbersome. The 10 x 50 Dekarem is a super glass optically, but fragile, large and not waterproof. The roof prism models (Notarem) are not phase coated and are notoriously trouble-prone. The 10 x 50 is the best of the affordable bunch and depending upon condition, a much better bet than the Bushnell Legend.

Thanks all. I have ordered a cheap pair of Nikon Sprint IIIs from Wharehouse Express for now and am stalking some late 10x50 Jentopics on Ebay.

Jenoptem and Nobilem

Hello, I have both the Jenoptem 10x50 and the Nobilem 7x50. The Jenoptem is good, big but lightweight, with a surprisingly bright image. It is not perfect (for example, it is quite unsharp at the borders) but the field of view is large and it gives you a very pleasant impression. It can be found at a low price. However I would say that it is completely unsuitable for eyeglass wearers. The Nobilem is a truly high class binocular; optically it is perfect, with a bright and very sharp image. As to the Nikon Sprint:frankly I don't like them (I have the 10x21) because they can only be used in bright light, moreover the image quality is definitely inferior to the Jenoptem. If you want a small and light binocular I would rather suggest the Jenoptem 8x30.

I fancy a pair of Jenoptem 10x50w that I have my eye on. The Nion Sprint III were only £25 and are so much better than what I was using before I am amazed. Once I get some Jenoptems then the Sprints go to my son. I may get some 8x30's as well if I can find some cheap enough. Is there a web site anywhere that lists all the Zeiss Jena models as it might be a fun thing to collect them.

Hello,
to my knowledge there is no single web site that lists all Zeiss Jena binoculars. However reviews of some models can be found on the following two web sites:
http://www.holgermerlitz.de/ This has a list of very detailed reviews of binoculars; many Zeiss Jena or Docter (the successor to Zeiss Jena) models are tested. Among them, various Jenoptems, two Nobilem models, the military models DF 7x40 and EDF 7x40.
http://binofan.home.att.net/ This is also an interesting site, in the German section there are various Zeiss Jena models (also some pre-war models).
If you know some German, I would also add other sites:
http://www.akoehler.de/ is the web site of a Zeiss Jena technician, gives interesting details on the history and the design of some models
http://home.arcor.de/thuernagel/ is a web site on the optical instruments of the former East German army, there are detailed reviews of the military binoculars DF 7x40 and EDF 7x40 (which by the way are quite good, and much better than the Jenoptems for eyeglass wearers)
http://212.80.228.216/sites/f.schaefer/astro_fgl1.htm has a review of some Zeiss Jena models, focused on astronomical observations.
Hope this helps,
Alfredo

pcolbeck said:
I fancy a pair of Jenoptem 10x50w that I have my eye on. The Nion Sprint III were only £25 and are so much better than what I was using before I am amazed. Once I get some Jenoptems then the Sprints go to my son. I may get some 8x30's as well if I can find some cheap enough. Is there a web site anywhere that lists all the Zeiss Jena models as it might be a fun thing to collect them.

Sorry to drag this post up again but just compared a pair of jenoptems from the mid 80's with a pair from mid 84.
They are identical in every respect except the objectives on the later pair are orange if hue.
The later models are far brighter than the earlier ones with the purple coating.
Both binoculars are clean inside and the test was done by more than one person.
Looks like Zeiss coatings where improving rapidly at this time!

Yesterday I bought a pair of Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30W for £8.00 in a flea market and frankly am amazed at the quality. I know nothing more about them except they have 'LOOK AHEAD WITH G.S.D' stamped on them and are numbered 4726743. I am presuming they were manufactured sometime in the 80s. They are perfect for keeping on the desk to watch the bird feeders and are frankly much better than some modern cheaper bins I have looked at. I also have a sheet torn from an undated copy of RSPB 'BIRDS' magazine which shows an advert for AR Hawkins of Northampton where they are listed as 8x30 Jenoptem T3M £34.95 (with a 40% discount). 10x50 T3M are listed at £67.50.
10x50 Dekarem are £86.45 and 10x40 Notarem are £134 97.
As a comparison, Zeiss West 10x40B Dialyts are £341.95!

B

I have quite a few CZJ, Docter and Jenoptik binoculars. They are amongst my favoites. The 8x30s Barry bought were made in the mid 80s when CJZ had their multicoatings perfected and they often multicoated thoughout the entire lens and prism light path. Since he didn't mention whether they were Jenoptem or Deltrintem models I find the 8x30 Deltrintem to be heavier and a bit sharper to the edge with large eye lenses so they are easier to use when wearing glasses. I've also seen a pair of 8x30 Jenoptiks made in the Jena region of Germany. They were great and their lightweight housing made them really handy to carry. Their coating technology seemed a bit older-tech but they were very good anyway.

I also have the 7x50 Jenoptem W and the 7x50 Binoctar both by CZJ and in this case the Jenoptem W is lighter and has a wider field but isn't as sharp and contrasty as the Binoctar. Yukon makes a copy of the Jenotem W 7x50 based on CZJ tooling they took as war reparations after WW2 and they are spectacular. So it is possible to get a sharp image from the Jenoptem design especially utilizing modern coatings.

I have 3 pairs of the Dekarem 10x50s, one from the late 70s and two from the mid 80s. From the Jenoptem 10x50s I've seen, it seems like the Old design of the Dekarems became the Jenoptem. The eye lenses are obviously different on the 2 eras of Dekarems I have (oddly enough the older model also has twist up eye cups and the later era ones don't). I have 2 pairs of the mid-80s Dekarem and have yet to find any 10x50 that is as sharp and contrasty especially in the middle of the field. The Docter 10x50 Nobilem Wide angle 10x50s had more stamped parts in them than the Dekarems and they didn't seem to hold up as well even if the optics were the same.

Everyone I know is stunned by the quality of image possible with the CZJ and Docter binoculars. The same is true for people who first see a Yukon, Tento, KOMZ, Berkut, Foton or Baigish binocular. Vacations in the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland are generally less expensive than vacations to similar places in Germany or Austria, and CZJ binocs are still available there NIB (as are all the other brands I mentioned), there are some great deals on optics available out there. Most of the CZJ binoculars were built using machined steel parts designed to last a lifetime or longer. They will seem heavy to many people now used to lightweight plastic housing roof prism binoculars. The plastic body Jenoptic 8x30 and 10x40 binoculars although porros, are very light. So if the visual image is more important than the weight, then Docter and CZJ binocs are incredible values. In the Russion models the KOMZ, Berkut and Tento binocs are heavy and the Baigish and Yukon models are relatively lighter, and the Foton roof prisms are very light in spite of using metal tubes for the housings.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back